Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I finally officially joined

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 richx

richx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

I guess it is good to now be on the inside of the community. I have used bleeping computer many, MANY times in fixing computers with malware. I almost always start with a google search and bleeping computer comes up on the first page. Information on this site is almost always perfectly accurate and helpful.

I have been in the PC support, and IT industry for industry for over 20 years. I'd like to think I know a lot, but I realize there is always a lot to learn and a lot of new stuff coming out.

I will admit, that today, in working to resolve an issue I used this thread:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-winvmx-client-and-vmxclient.exe-pup

to get some suggestions on removing vmx I ran accross an issue that (at the time I thought, "I should post some feedback on this" but now mellowed a bit and thought I should maybe learn more before I rant/complain.)

One of the steps was to use Zemana. One of my standard procedures is to disconnect an infected computer from the network (In this case, I really did have a good case as the malware was actively accessing the internet). Sometimes I will pull the hard drive and connect it to another computer as an external drive and scan (Strategy being to run malware removal from a clean environment first).

Zemana won't run without an internet connection! "Lame!" I thought (I ran it after running rkill and did this from a flash drive). I actually had this same issue with MWB a couple weeks ago on another job. Maybe with Zemana since it has a small footprint, relies on "cloud scan" but MWB (other than to get a more recent update) should run.

Commentary: How much safer would we be if we weren't so reliant on the internet? We get so used to being able to connect anywhere anytime. One network I support has unreliable internet and that is the reason we don't go to Quickbooks in the cloud.

Think how much safer we'd be if some of our infrastructure was not so interdependant. Look at North Korea they'd be safer if they weren't online (where we in the US are trying to sabatoge them via hacking.)

Anyway, enough ranting. That is the reason I officially joined today. Rather than complain, I'll wait for the right avenue to mention these thoughts again. (Or if anyone reading this would direct me to the right places to give feedback, I would certainly give feedback.)

Afterall, this is an INTRO thread and not really for a big discussion.

Anyway, I am glad to be here.

-Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

Welcome - finally - to BC !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer Forums!

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users