Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a fake Dell laptop adapter?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alliecat

Alliecat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

I think the adapter I got on eBay for my Latitude D610 is a fake.  It weighs half what the stock ones do.  I've read about identifying fakes, regarding label differences (I don't see any spelling errors; hard to tell for the German text!).  However, a couple of articles I read said that the fakes either don't work or don't charge the battery.  Unlike a previous one I bought, this one didn't generate any error messages on startup, and it does charge the battery & has been working OK for a week or so since I got it.  I've run it for hours & I'm not sure it gets any hotter than the old one.  Of course the biggest thing is the weight difference, but as long as it works, & I don't generally leave it plugged in or running unattended, I figure it's OK to have as a backup...  I haven't tested the voltage yet but could do that.  It's (supposed to be) a 90W PA-10.

Any advice -- is it safe to use, do you think? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoelMiles925

JoelMiles925

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

I suspect that it is fake but see no immediate safety issues assuming it proves to be the same wattage/voltage.

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

If you only use weight as a comparison method, it's hard to say something at all.
If You will always buy electronics by weight in the future, then everything is OK.
Sorry, my speciality is electronicsist.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

Most of the replacement power supplies that I've ever bought for laptops, be they replacements from the OEM or third-party, have tended to get both smaller and lighter as time goes by.   Not surprising since the trend toward making everything smaller and lighter has been marching on for years now.

They sometimes seem to run a bit hotter than the originals, but if they've been running for several days (I seldom unplug mine) without issue then it's doubtful that you're going to have one in the future (other than the eventual total failure of the unit, which is just something that happens).

If its technical specs match those needed by your machine and it's been working then I wouldn't worry about it too much.  The issue of whether it's genuine or not, if it works and works correctly, is more one regarding seller ethics and whether you'd want to do business with them again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

Thanks!  It was pretty cheap so I wouldn't expect it to last forever anyway.  The original one finally quit working, & now just peeps quietly when I plug it in, without lighting up.  The cheapie one appears to be performing fine.  I didn't know the legitimate adapters were getting lighter.  They did advertise it as "genuine", but how would you know from the listing.  Anyway, I'm glad this one seems to be OK, unlike the last one I bought which wouldn't charge the battery, or the other one that put up error messages!  Seems kinda hit & miss buying these.

(Does anyone buy broken adapters for parts, or is the whole thing junk?  I see laptops for parts on eBay, but not really adapters.  No electronics recycling program where I live;  would have to look farther afield.)

Edited by Alliecat, 06 July 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

I don't know of anyone who deals with "dead power supplies" for parts.

If you have a Goodwill in your area they have a nationwide electronics recycling program and will accept donations of dead electronics for it.  Just make sure that you tell them that a given thing is dead so they don't go through the process of trying to test it as part of prepping it for resale.

They no longer resell computers at all and have not done so for several years - these all get recycled for security reasons.  They do resell keyboards, mice, etc., though.

Oops!:  Just noticed you're in Canada so I don't know whether there even are Goodwill stores there.  Will leave this message for our US readers, though, just to increase awareness.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users