Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 keep getting corrupt on new hard disk

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 flagstar

flagstar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

Hi,

I'm seeking help in here because I can't seem to find the solution for the problem I had currently.

I've been using Win10Pro for some time already and been working great, until my hdd start to slow down. SMART shows I habe 1 sector goes bad, so I went to replce this hdd with new one

The one I purchased is Seagate Barracuda 1GB, and installed windows 10 to my pc and intent to use the older hdd as extra storage.

However, after a while, windows 10 always reported that it had corrupted files everytime I use my pc. Then slowly windows start to slow down and won't boot anymore. Several windows reinstall and it still happen again.

So I decided to change the assumed bad new hdd to another one with same model/brand. Installed windows and use it for a week, with no problem. Then the corrupted files appear again and several days later pc was unbearably slow.

Tried chkdsk /f /r, sfc /scannow and dism solutions, none works. Chkdsk shows attribute record (80, ""), tried corrected it using chkdsk /f, it reported to have solved the problem but another chkdsk run shows the same error.

Using chkdsk /r command log a lot of read error, disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters etc.

I also have do the hdd diagnostic but it didn't picked up any error. Same with SMART, no error.

I'm at a loss now. Any help would be appreciated.

P/s: using my old hdd still works ok, windows works as it should be but respond kinda slow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:03 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

Click on File which is in the upper left portion of the image, then click on Publish Snapshot in the next image.

In the following screen click on Yes.

In the following screen click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 flagstar

flagstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

Hi, as requested

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/A7hrdMXjHVFUIXiaN7whlU5

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

You have two hdds which have a capacity of 931GB.

The Western Digital WD10JPVX-22JC3T0 I believe was the original hdd you had installed since it does show the S.M.A.R.T. attribute Current Pending Sector Count with one bad sector.  Bad sectors are not uncommon in hdds, there are quite literally millions of sectors which can be used to reallocate the readable data on a bad sector to a new sector.  I don't see any real indication of this drive failing.

The Seagate ST1000DM010-2EP102 has no issues either.

The one questionable figure I see is a temperature of 80C, this would be dangerously high.  But looking at the rest of the temperatures (motherboard, graphics, hdd) this temperature is so much higher that I have to believe this is an anomaly with the Speccy report.  Speccy is known for throwing the occasional incorrect figure.

Where did you acquire the installation media you used to install the operating system?  There is a possibility that this media could be at fault for these errors that keep creeping up after a fresh installation of the operating  system.  There is more than enough free space on your C: drive (299GB) for the operating system, so I don't see this as a potential problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 flagstar

flagstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for the reply,

If you're aware, the WD disk are 5400 2.5' disk which are much slower compared to the new hdd 7200 3.5' that I intent to replace with. I know it's still good but I want windows to run in a faster disk with room for storage expansion in mind.

The high temperature are probably wrong reading from speccy as it doesn't really reflect this APU temperature. If I remember, it offset by 20 degree.

Downloaded the .iso media through valid microsoft website from another computer and installed it by usb method. I know there's a option to install windows through media creation tool but I'm currently on metered network, couldn't really afford to waste more data.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

With the consistent problems you are having with the operating system I'm going to suggest that if you still have access to another computer where you can download the ISO image file and create new installation media you do so.

If you still have access to the other computer at another site I would suggest using the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

#7 flagstar

flagstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

No, I'm afraid I don't have access to other computer at the moment. Best I could only do now is to download the media through my smartphone as I'm subscribed to unlimited data plan but no tethering :(

Here's the link I download the media from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

But is windows reinstalling the only option I had now? I've been reinstalling 3~4 times already without luck of the corruption would go away. FYI, I haven't formatted the old windows in the old hdd yet and it still can be bootable without any problem.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

I would like to revisit post #5 where you asked if I was aware of the differences between the two drives.  Yes I am.  The Speccy stated exactly what each drive's capacity, speed, and any other pertinent data.

If the old hdd is still bootable and Windows is stable and operating properly you could do either of the following.  Remove the new drive and boot from the old drive.  Of you could us Macrium Reflect to clone the old drive and install it on the new drive and see if that installation works properly.  There is a tutorial for this software, you can find it here.  You will want to include all of the Windows partitions.

Edited to add:  You should use a program like Darik's Nuke and Boot to completely overwrite the Seagate hdd, this will give you a fresh drive to make the installation.

Edited by dc3, 04 July 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#9 flagstar

flagstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

I've tried the cloning options before using Acronis True Image with the seagate disk before I replaced it with the new one, it didn't go well so I kinda reluctant to do another cloning if the outcome will be the same.

In the mean time, I'll do another download of the windows 10 .iso image first, to compare their md5 with the previous image that i downloaded. I'll update it here when done.

By the way, is it better if I just perform reset and keep my files or do complete reinstall of windows in this case?

p/s: while writing this, windows start live tile had gone missing, chkdsk still show corrupted attribute record but windows is still usable, not sure how long before it presented me with random bsod, windows unable to start etc.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

1. I've tried the cloning options before using Acronis True Image with the seagate disk before I replaced it with the new one, it didn't go well so I kinda reluctant to do another cloning if the outcome will be the same.

In the mean time, I'll do another download of the windows 10 .iso image first, to compare their md5 with the previous image that i downloaded. I'll update it here when done.

2. By the way, is it better if I just perform reset and keep my files or do complete reinstall of windows in this case?

3. p/s: while writing this, windows start live tile had gone missing, chkdsk still show corrupted attribute record but windows is still usable, not sure how long before it presented me with random bsod, windows unable to start etc.

1. Acronis and Macrium are two very different cloning softwares.  You may wish to read the tutorial of Macrium before making any decision.  Both of the drive have the same capacity, so this shouldn't be a problem.

2. I would always suggest that you keep your files as you may regret their loss later.  If these files are inconsequential you could just wipe the Seagate and do a fresh installation once you have installation media that you know is viable.

3.  Press the Windows key and the X key together to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu is open select Command Prompt (Admin).

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

#11 flagstar

flagstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

1. I've tried the cloning options before using Acronis True Image with the seagate disk before I replaced it with the new one, it didn't go well so I kinda reluctant to do another cloning if the outcome will be the same.

2. By the way, is it better if I just perform reset and keep my files or do complete reinstall of windows in this case?

3. p/s: while writing this, windows start live tile had gone missing, chkdsk still show corrupted attribute record but windows is still usable, not sure how long before it presented me with random bsod, windows unable to start etc.

1. Acronis and Macrium are two very different cloning softwares.  You may wish to read the tutorial of Macrium before making any decision.  Both of the drive have the same capacity, so this shouldn't be a problem.

2. I would always suggest that you keep your files as you may regret their loss later.  If these files are inconsequential you could just wipe the Seagate and do a fresh installation once you have installation media that you know is viable.

3.  Press the Windows key and the X key together to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu is open select Command Prompt (Admin).

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

Alright, I'll give Macrium a try to clone the disk once again if the dism option fail to correct the issues I'm having. Hopefully it will be a healthy clone.

Most of my data are still inside old hdd so a clean install on seagate is still possible for me. I just need to backup some new data I had after the windows installation.

I'll update the result of dsim in this topic later

Edit:

dism throws this error on the cmd http://puu.sh/wBBpK/4d9ad3992a.png

I've also attached the log file of it here

Attached Files

• Attached File  dism.log   356.55KB   1 downloads

Edited by flagstar, 04 July 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#12 flagstar

flagstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

Sorry for double post,

Well, instead of trying macrium, I've reformat the windows partition on new disk and clean install windows 10 with new downloaded iso installer from microsoft site. At first, all is well. But after a few restart cycle, it shows up again. I'm quite clueless already why this always happen.

Right now, my old disk that contain previous windows are still connected to pc since my data are still there. Would the partition from other hdd can actually corrupt the windows in other disk?

EDIT:

It seems that windows are not at fault here. Turns out the sata cable was problematic in the first place. Saw this problem when I booted to windows in old hdd to chkdsk the windows in new hdd, it appear and disappear non-stop in explorer, same thing happened to in disk management.

So I replaced my sata cable and connect the hdd with other power cable just in case the problem originated from it as well. Booted to old windows and it stays connected. Will use this new hdd as secondary for a while before moving the data to new hdd.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Edited by flagstar, 06 July 2017 - 11:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users