Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE to AHCI Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scottausburn

scottausburn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:07 AM

Hello everyone.

I am a little frustrated.  I am trying to change to  AHCI from IDE on my computer.  I have a SSD hard drive.

I have followed the instructions on the web: 

1.  Start in safe mode (with network)

2.  Change 3 registry keys:  I am the owner under permissions and know how to change keys

3.  Restart and boot into BIOS.. change SATA to AHCI

4. Boot and Windows 10 should load drivers

5.  Reboot normally

Problem:  My registry keys keep reverting back to a value of 3

the keys are:  HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENTCONTROLSET/SERVICES/  and then the keys  iaSTORAV , iaSTORV and storeahci/StartOverride--- ( changing the Dword  to 0 from 3)

I am the owner under permissions and I am signed in as Administrator.

When I make the change in the BIOS to AHCI the computer boots with no problems but no AHCI drivers load and under device manager it shows IDE controllers for the port,  I have also tried manually updating the driver.

Any Ideas,

Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheMasterMech

TheMasterMech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

(wrong forum)

#3 scottausburn

scottausburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

Ok, My bad,   I´ll move it................

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Secondly - to both scottausburn and themastermech - the better way to deal with a topic like this is to use the 'Report' button which you will find at the bottom right of every post in every topic. It's grayed out untiil you hover over it and click on it.

There are at least two advantages to doing it this way, by using the 'Report' button. First, using a report usually gets a quick response and if a Moderator moves a topic, which is something we do regularly, it leaves a link in the original position which takes you from there to the actual position of the topic.

The second advantage is that it is less work for scottausburn !  He doesn't have to create a new topic and either re-type his post or copy/paste it !

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 04 July 2017 - 06:37 PM.

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:04 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer Forums!

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users