Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concerns Over Security Software

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

The big players like Symantec, McAfee and Sophos offer huge suites of programs aimed at protecting you and your computer online.
But there is an alternative. A growing number of programs from smaller firms are aimed at the security market are available to download free of charge.
But as you would imagine, some people - for example the manufacturers of products that you pay for - do not think it is such a good idea to trust the family data to a free security product.

"We've seen plenty of examples where an attacker will actually create their attack either in or as part of a free security tool," said Greg Day of McAfee. "We've seen examples where maybe you think you've got a bit of spyware [on your computer], something trying to steal a bit of information or some kind of attack, and you go to the internet and to try and find more and perhaps get a free tool to get rid of it.

"Now maybe the good ones will actually get rid of that attack but at the same time they may drop maybe 10 or 20 other attacks onto your system."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/clic...ine/5326654.stm

Who is attacking whom ? Cries from the desperate? Seems to me they're attacking other AV's more than"rogue" antispyware devlopers.even if some one held a gun to my head and forced me to buy Windows again, I wouldn't use Symantec or McAfee ( gun or not :thumbsup: ) Sophos maybe, most likely AntiVir, doesn't seem to be much difference in them as none of them seem very good any more.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users