Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Host App Service & App Explorer.Ink detected

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 razz3333

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:05 PM

I posted this topic in the AII Forum, but apparently I shouldn't have.  Your advice will be greatly appreciated.  The following is an update to that post:

I have an Acer laptop running the latest version of Windows 10.  I ran a scan with the latest versions of both RogueKiller and AdwCleaner and both flagged several entries of "Host App Service" and "App Explorer,Ink".

I don't know if these details matter, but I use MVPS Host File and I installed a VPN (but this was not activated when I did the scans).

One more thing: In the registry RogueKiller found two PUM.HomePage and one PUM.DNS.

I figure I can safely delete the two PUM.HomePage because they refer to Internet Explorer which I never use (I use Chrome).

However, I am not sure I should delete the PUM.DNS.

I assume it's safe to delete everything (except possibly PUM.DNS).  If it is, do you recommend deleting using RogueKiller or AdwCleaner?

Note: the first entry in orange is safe.  I know because that is in reference to a program I am developing using Visual Studio 2017.

Update: From google searches I now realize that "Host App Service" and "App Explorer" are software programs developed by SweetLabs.  According to their website: "App Explorer helps you choose the apps that come with your PC. Select from a collection of the best apps in the world, with easy and safe downloads."

Due to this, I now assume whether you delete or don't delete these items is strictly a personal decision.  I assume not deleting will not be a security issue.

Edited by razz3333, 03 July 2017 - 09:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users