Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thought on System76 and Pop! _OS?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Pop!_OS

Seems to be geared toward professionals, so I don't know if I will try it. Wonder if it's related to Canonical dropping Unity and possible non-enterprise desktop?

According to reddit, they will continue to sell and support pcs with Ubuntu, so I guess I don't need to move outside my comfort zone. Or at least, that's the way I decided to interpret his answer.

Shocking news to me, nonetheless. I guess I didn't think a company would be brave enough to start their own OS while bringing their hardware manufacturing in-house when linux is failing so bad. Heh.

Still unsure about this Gnome business though. I have always just used stock Ubuntu with Unity Tweak Tools. What am I in for?

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

Linux Laptops.

https://puri.sm/products/librem-15/

https://puri.sm/faq/

https://www.pureos.net/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/a-linux-laptop-with-security-at-its-core-purisms-librem-now-widely-available/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=postplanner&utm_source=facebook.com

https://forums.puri.sm/t/cancelling-my-order-not-waiting-six-months-for-a-laptop/319/10

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hi Ubiq,

If you're used to using Unity, you shouldn't have any problems working out how to use Gnome. Whether or not you'll like it is another matter.

Going by what the article says, the operating system itself sounds pretty much like Ubuntu.

Are you considering buying one of their laptops, or is it just the operating system you're wondering about trying?

#4 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

Thanks AI1000!

Good to know, because I've been reading some dramatic complaints about Gnome's poor functionality since the Unity announcement.

Yeah, I'm interested in their NUC, the Meerkat. Still reading about whether or not it can be a real desktop replacement, but most seem to think so.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#5 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

This post is about System76, not the very broad 'linux laptops'. Seems off-topic to me. Did you mean to post this elsewhere?

Speccy

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hey Ubiq,

Nope.

Edited by The-Toolman, 04 July 2017 - 02:36 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

I think its bullbleep, another distro for no reason. there are no benefits over Ubuntu as its still gnome shell.

Oh wow a new theme! What a crock.

System76's solution is a joke

I guess I didn't think a company would be brave enough to start their own OS while bringing their hardware manufacturing in-house when linux is failing so bad.

How is linux failing?

Hell market share is up!

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/07/stats-say-linux-marketshare-hit-time-high-last-month

Edited by MadmanRB, 04 July 2017 - 01:45 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

System76, more power to them, if they can bring home a paycheck and provide people with good computers then why not?  You sure as hell can't go to the local Bestbuy or Office Depot and get one of these things.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

Still if they didnt like the direction of Ubuntu there is still Mate or Mint.

Or Manjaro, or antergos.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

Hell market share is up!

How is linux failing?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/07/stats-say-linux-marketshare-hit-time-high-last-month

MadmanRB

Exactly my point! Every message board I visit or linux article I read, especially the one above, has supposed linux fans whining about how linux is dying. I'm happy some companies are proving them wrong.

Your opinion on the new os seems in keeping with most I've read so far. I hope they make it, but as usual in the linux world, it will be against a storm of negativity.

Speccy

#11 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

System76, more power to them, if they can bring home a paycheck and provide people with good computers then why not?  You sure as hell can't go to the local Bestbuy or Office Depot and get one of these things.

Yep! My thoughts exactly!

Speccy

#12 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

Still if they didnt like the direction of Ubuntu there is still Mate or Mint.

Or Manjaro, or antergos.

This is very interesting when you parse their reasoning. S76 says most of their customers are a specific set of professional creators: mostly engineers and scientists. And so they want an os that is very capable. I guess this related to apps and repositories?

Open Source development is open but seems tribal sometimes in who they will and won't work with.

Because several of their employees are working on ElementaryOS and I don't see any real reason why they couldn't have gone with that.

Here is a Bryan Lunduke interview with S76 employee Ryan Sipes where he talks about what these customers want and it basically sounds like what I, a hobbyist, want: a polished desktop that doesn't need lots of tweaking to be usable but can tolerate any and all tweaking for my personal preference.

Sipes had terrible reception and I didn't finish the interview but I wonder if they touched on Mint and Mate? My guess for why they didn't go with them is because it would mean they were still beholden to a another group of developers who didn't have S76 as their entire focus.

Speccy

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

I think its bullbleep, another distro for no reason. there are no benefits over Ubuntu as its still gnome shell.

Oh wow a new theme!

Well said.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#14 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:05 AM

"Geared Towards Professionals".

As someone who's been developing software on *nix systems for a heck of a long time, what I "need" is stability and tools.  Any professional worth their 2 cents is going to be able to figure out how to download the tools they need (editors, compilers, etc) so that's pretty much a non issue.  What I detest is making the default install "install everything and start it all up".  Waste of resources and my time trying to figure out how to turn everything off.  Desktop environments?  Give me a simple window manager that works quickly and manages my windows:  iconize a window, just do it without the spinning, flipping jumping jacks. Graphical file managers?  Sorry, terminal window, pwd, cd, ls and sudo mount work just fine.  Integrated search?  What you've never heard of grep -ir?  Gnome:  gvfs, why automatically start up things like Samba, fuse, mtp, gphoto, network?

Sorry, most professionals involved in writing software prefer the OpenBSD "default deny" stance.  Out of the box, just enough is turned on.  If you need something, you explicitly turn it on.  Results in a much more secure system than "default permit" and turning things off.

Unity/Gnome/KDE:  Sorry, all too heavyweight and get in my way.

Having all kinds of things on by default is nice for a home user (replace a Windows machine) because out of the box grandma can watch you-tube videos of the grandkids and send them email.

Good luck to them.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

As someone who's been developing software on *nix systems for a heck of a long time, what I "need" is stability and tools.  Any professional worth their 2 cents is going to be able to figure out how to download the tools they need (editors, compilers, etc) so that's pretty much a non issue

I agree, It seems just about anybody can roll their own " Ubuntu clone " now days.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users