Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer frozen during updates...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Latic32

Latic32

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hello.

I bought a new computer recently and things have been going fine with it until now. However, during an update (A large update - perhaps new os?), the icon wheel has stopped and it is frozen at about 75% and has been like this for a while. It was a large update (can't remember the name of it - I'm no computer expert). I rely on the computer for skype so hopefully I can get it sorted soon.

Can someone please give me some advice on what I should do?

Thank you.

All the best.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

How long is "a while?"

It is not uncommon for Windows 10 major updates (those that are taking you from one Version number to the next) to appear to have stalled at a fixed percentage for what seems like forever, but then you suddenly jump ahead by a large amount.   My way of doing a "quick and dirty" check when things appear to be stalled is to take a peek at the hard disc (and I presume there'd be an equivalent for an SSD) activity light to see if it's active and, if it appears to be, then to wait longer.

If push comes to shove, and you really need to know that things are stalled, you can do a hard shutdown by holding in the power button.  On the rare occasions I've had to do this to a machine running a Windows 10 update it has always rolled back the update when I restarted the machine.   This is truly a last resort.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Latic32

Latic32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Is it normal for the update wheel to appear frozen and not move?

I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and it had problems with the memory and kept going to blue screen and I was told it was a hardware fault. I just hope that this new computer is ok. I've ran a memory check on this and everything is fine.

I will leave it for a while longer (I would say the circular wheel has been frozen for 45 minutes to an hour) and then do a hard shutdown.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:30 PM

The "status circle of dots" being frozen is, in my experience, unusual and indicative of an actual freeze.

If the update cannot be applied via "the usual method" the next time and it freezes again, and you know that that you're not already on Version 1703 (Creators Update), I'd suggest you follow the instructions here:

Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO File

for updating your computer using the Windows 10 ISO file burned to the bootable media that would work with your machine.  If it has an optical drive I tend to have better luck using a DVD than I have had with a USB drive.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Latic32

Latic32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

I did a hard shutdown and the computer reverted back to its working state.

The update is the version 1703 feature update. Would removing the wireless mouse and disabling firewall/anti virus help at all, as this is what a google search seems to suggest would help?

Thanks.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

Latic32,

You may also want to try the following before kicking off the restart that causes the update to install:

Removing all USB devices and disabling your antivirus/security suite immediately before kicking off the restart and see if the update takes may or may not help, but there's absolutely nothing to be lost by doing so.   I certainly would try that.

If it doesn't work, though, I would jump straight to the ISO technique under the circumstances.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

It may have already Updated to the Creators Update but stalled for some reason.  Click on Start Menu and type " winver" , when you see winver hit Enter and see if it says Version 1607 or 1703.  If all is working properly now you may be fine.  Won't hurt to run run the programs Brian suggests, but if all is working really well and you have Version 1703 then you were lucky/successful.

I'm curious, are you running AVG?  I see lot's of Upgrades fail with AVG Installed, but don't know if it is just coincidence.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Latic32

Latic32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

Hi.

I rang technical support and they told me to press esc and troubleshoot. It's a pain having to re-install itunes and kaspersky and the like, but the update was successful and I have now have version 1703. I hopefully won't have any future problems.

Thanks.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

Good-on-ya!  CU is problematic, but if it installs and all works well after then I think you are all set!  Sometimes it installs perfectly sometimes it stalls, sometimes it crashes everything etc.

I'm curious, are you running AVG?  I see lot's of Upgrades fail with AVG Installed, but don't know if it is just coincidence?

Edited by pcpunk, 05 July 2017 - 10:58 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users