Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrate Apple Mail Offline emails to Windows Outlook

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coreyyfontana

coreyyfontana

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Hello everyone,

A while back for security reasons I backed up all my emails on my hard drive with the help of export function in Apple Mail. Exporting the email files created a single .mbox file on my hard drive (approx 27GB). Now as my mac is too old now and I have switched over to Windows system, I needed to know how can I import this .mbox file in my windows outlook. I am using the latest version of Office 365 but I couldn't make out how to import this apple mail exported file into windows outlook. I have some import emails and attachments that I need to access now and will also need in future. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Nobody else has chimed in so I'll write about my experiences migrating mail in the opposite direction.

A couple of months ago, having become extremely disillusioned with Microsoft's strategy, I made the opposite transition (Windows 10 -> MacBook Pro) for the bulk of my daily computing. Most of the transition was just a learning exercise and a bit of a slog, but the thing that stuck me was the inability of the various email programs import and export functions to meet in the middle. 

After a lot of internet searches and a few dry runs (including one unexpected dead end where Mozilla Thunderbird, that a lot go internet results suggested could be used as an intermediate stage) I decided that the only way forward was to purchase a tool to do the job.

I opted for the application called Emailchemy ( http://weirdkid.com/emailchemy/ ) - that cost me about 24 GBP - I think it's about 30 USD. It did the job about as well as one could expect, and you can run it in trial mode where it transfers email with deliberately munged from addresses and subject lines. In fact the one thing I’d have liked it to have done was in that trial mode, for to have fully converted a small percentage of emails to prove it could do the part of the job. However both the trial and the real conversion (from Windows Outlook to Apple mail went perfectly.

You would be going in the reverse direction to that which I did, and in the conversion software does not work the same way for conversion to Outlook for Windows. In that mode, you apparently use an inbuilt IMAP server within the conversion software to upload the old emails into Outlook. I did not test that functionality. If you chose to go down this route, you could (and should) do a test run in trial mode in order to Check the software works for you.

x64

Edited by x64, 04 July 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#3 coreyyfontana

coreyyfontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

Thank you x64 for sharing your story with me. I downloaded the application but the setup couldn't complete. I think there is some bug in this version of the application. I have reported this issue to their support mail, I hope t get a reply soon. 

Also I was strolling through the web to find more applications like these, and I landed upon Apple Mail to pst converter (http://applemailtopst.com/). This application was on the very first rankings whenever I searched with different queries. Can you help me and provide your opinion on this app. That would be very helpful. Thanks

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

Obviously I've not used that software, so it then comes down to what can be found out about the application before taking the plunge (or not) That's difficult to judge from just looking at a website (even if it's nice and shiny and/or hits the top of search engine lists!). Nice shiny websites require web development skills (not a good product to sell) and Search Engine optimisation is a big subject these days. The best I can do is advise you how to assess the developer and product.

Now - before going on I have to say that what I'm describing below is risks and assessment points I'd think about when considering any software. Not any indictment of this particular product (which may well be a perfect tool exactly and what you need).

Necessarily my assessment points are somewhat paranoid. You get that way working with IT security!

(a bit of a simplification but...) any software could do something other than the seller advertises - bundle unwanted code (adware/spyware/malware / steal info from your computer etc) so you need to develop some level of verifiable trust with the developer.

There’s also the assessment as to whether the software will actually work well enough to meet your goals, and if it does not, what recourse you have. In your case email migration is a complex task, many things could trip up a conversion process.  

So what can we find out about this program/developer?…

Looking at the website - I see a few minor things that hint to me that English is not the vendors first language.

I did a lookup of the domain name - it is registered to a company Gladwev but to an individuals name, rooted in India. Nothing wrong with that, but there is not a lot to hint at where the dev is located on the site itself - you’d probably not have expected it to be India. The domain name hass been around a while - at least the developer is established.

Also looking at the website and the companies central website www.gladwevsoftware.com, I see reference to various awards. However what are these awards really? - it does not say (and certainly there is no way to verify the award from the organisation who made the award. Hmmmmmm….. To me that reduces trust.

I also did a quick search to see if I could find any reference (preferably verifiable) reports/recommendations from bona-fide users. For instance, I’d put more credibility in a post on a long running blog site discussing multiple subjects which just happens to mention this episode in the bloggers life, or in a post on a trusted forum by a long standing forum member with many varied posts to his name. I’d put negative credibility in a post (to lets say this thread) by a member who just joined and for whom it’s his first post (or has 15 post all of which say “use super converter-pro - it works great [and even makes my clothes come out of the washing machine whiter!]”). As I say I only did a quick search but didn't come up with anything - either positive, negative, or neutral.

If I had to throw a dart at offering advice - I’d say that maybe they are bigging up their product and possibly the size of his business a fraction more and in ways than I’m comfortable with - can you then trust the other claims about support etc?

On the plus side there is a trial version - If I read the limitations correctly, you can convert one folder.. I suppose it’s worth giving that a go, and maybe also engage with the exulted Expert Premium 24x7 support - see if it lives up to their claims. If you have the chance try converting several folders with varying types of content. Think some attachments, some emails with various languages/character sets, html content/rtf content etc. 

In the same way as mentioned , you could also search the other products on the Gladwev website to see if you can gain any trustworthy information from other internet users. That would also be useful as really we are looking at the company as much as the individual product.

Obviously if you do choose to purchase, assess the security of the purchase process as you go and if possible pay by something like PayPal which abstracts your payment information away from the vendor.

Of course these same principles can also be applied to any other software you research as a result of this (or other) requirement.

x64

#5 coreyyfontana

coreyyfontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

Well, that was a good insight I was looking for. First of all thank, you x64 for finding out time to provide your useful views, really appreciate that. 

Secondly, I haven't heard from the emailchemy support till now. So I downloaded the trial version of apple mail to pst converter and it worked flawlessly. Like your review, this was the application I was looking for. I also had a chat with their support team and they were very quick in responding to my request no matter where they are from, a good service means everything to me. Plus their software worked top notch. I am not sure about this awards thing you are talking about, maybe they are faking it or maybe they are not, but looking at how their software and services work out, I will give them an award myself. I bought the tool after thoroughly testing it. The application is also extremely easy to operate, I didn't need much help from their tech support either. 

Rounding up, it was a great help from your end. I found what I was looking for and my issue is resolved for now. Thank you once again.

Edited by coreyyfontana, 05 July 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#6 Abrienne

Abrienne

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:13 AM

Migrate Apple Mail to Windows Outlook, use this MBOX to PST converter. As Apple mail basically support MBOX file format so MBOX to PST converter can easily converter your Apple Mail data files to PST format. If you have a lot of files to convert to PST format then, you can perform the BATCH Conversion of Apple Mail files to PST. Additionally, corrupt MBOX file can also be recovered by the help of this tools. Refer: http://www.convertmbox2pst.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users