Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarting My Desktop Causes Many Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chrismciver

chrismciver

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Rebooting a PC is supposed to fix lots of small errors, but for a long while now rebooting my PC puts it in an odd state once it starts up again. The characteristics I will describe either make it sound like a virus or Windows error, but I've tried many malware scans and sfc scans and nothing helped.

The characteristics have changed slightly over the months, but here are some typical changes that have happened after rebooting: desktop icons are zoomed slightly (or the monitor resolution is altered), my wallpaper changes to an older wallpaper of mine, my network adapter is sometimes disabled, fonts are slightly different, general slower activity, the Start button doesn't open the start menu (meaning nothing happens; this is the one error that's been recurring every single time).

Usually I have to shut down the PC and power back up to restore it to a normal state, but lately this hasn't really been working (or it requires me to shut down excessively which is time consuming and probably unhealthy for the computer).

Any help is appreciated. Please let me know if this is any issue that's been solved before, or if there's any more information I need to provide.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

Try booting into Advanced Options and running Startup Repair.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-boot-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-a.html

#3 chrismciver

chrismciver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

I got the "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC" error. Currently running a chkdsk scan from the Advanced Startup CMD.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

You might consider doing a "refesh" with the Keep my files option.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

#5 chrismciver

chrismciver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

I thought about that but I'd really like to avoid that because I have hundreds of gigabytes of software/apps that I do not want to lose.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:06 AM

You might try downloading and running the portable version of Windows Repair (All-In-One) by Tweaking.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair_portable.html

#7 chrismciver

chrismciver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

Hm that sounds interesting, I'll give that a go soon.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

I thought about that but I'd really like to avoid that because I have hundreds of gigabytes of software/apps that I do not want to lose.

The Refresh which was suggested is a good way to repair problems within the operating system, or point toward other possible problems.  The refresh has the option to save all of your personal files, using this option will keep all of your personal files intact.  The only downside of this is that a Refresh will uninstall any third party programs you downloaded or installed from storage media ( disc or flash drive).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 chrismciver

chrismciver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

You might try downloading and running the portable version of Windows Repair (All-In-One) by Tweaking.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair_portable.html

Wow! I booted in safe mode and ran the regular version of this software, and after restarting a few times to test it I think the issue has finally been solved! Thank you for recommending this, it's a very handy bit of software. I was looking for something like that for a while: software that fixes registry and Windows files without reinstalling the OS. Thanks again! I'll report back if the issue ever returns though. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users