Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&d Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

XP Home - SP2 - Adaware SE, Spybot, and Spywareblaster for prevention.
I have used Spybot for several years now and the past few months it is acting strangely. I scan 2-3 times per week and normally I do Adaware first which finds 2-3 low threat items per week. Then I run Spybot.

For about a month I get the "condradulations,,,,,,nothing found...... page. Then I run a scan and it finds about 30 items. In the past It would show the few items it found in red highliting on that page , but now it just gives a message that it needs to restart to remove the last couple of items. It doesn't even show the items it found.

I've talked to a few friends who also have experienced this "sudden" mass finding of items.Why doesn't it even show the items and give you the option to remove them? Being as I've used this version for several years - would it be a good idea to uninstall it and do a "fresh" reinstall??

Sorry if this is choppy but I'm just trying to explain the best I know how. Thanks - Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:31 PM

Evidently the last couple of problems Spybot needs to remove are running at the time of the scan, and therefore can't be removed.
Spybot is asking to restart so it can catch, and delete the problems, before they startup.
I would do as it asks, then see if you still have the problem.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:58 AM

but now it just gives a message that it needs to restart to remove the last couple of items. It doesn't even show the items it found.

It sounds as though you now have spybot configured to look for tracking information such as recent file lists and windows activity logs.

Why doesn't it even show the items and give you the option to remove them?

Are there little plus signs to the left of the entries? If so, click on the plus sign and you will see the specific items listed below. You should have the option to put checks or remove checks from the little square boxes to the left of the entries.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

tg911 - Actually it's a repetative cycle. Scans show nothing for 4-5 weeks then suddenly I get one which finds about 39 items! Ther are always a couple of entries which require a restart - then it repeats the same cycle. It's been like this for the past 3-4 months.
orange blossom - It used to be that after a scan it would show the results. I scan twice a week and for 4-5 weeks I get the results page " condradulations- no........... However when I get that random multi-entry find It doesn't show the results like it used to where I can view and deal with the results! There is just a small window which says I need to restart to get rid of the last couple of items.

Like I said - It happens about every 4-5 weeks and I don't have time to sit and watch every scan to see results - It always used to have them displayed. Do you think maybe an uninstall and fresh install would be a good starting point? Thanks - Keith

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

Do you have the same problem when running Spybot in Safe Mode?

If so, I'd try an uninstall/reinstall.
Don't forget to disable TeaTimer before trying to uninstall, otherwise it won't uninstall properly.
To disable TeaTimer:
Right click on the TeaTimer icon, in the Task Bar.
Select Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.

Edited by tg1911, 12 September 2006 - 09:35 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:51 PM

thanks tg1911 - I'll give that a try right now and see how it goes - Keith

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

You're welcome, Keith.
Be sure to let us know how it goes.

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

tg1911 - I uninsalled my old version of Spybot ( exactly as per your directions ) and installed the latest version. After running scans for a few days, everything appears "back to normal". I don't know what had happened - be it the program or something I did. But as for now,I consider the problem solved . If anything happens with it I'll surely post back. Again - thank you so much for your help! - Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users