Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protection against Ransomeware?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Balliol

Balliol

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:11 AM

I use a 1T Seagate external drive, I hope that is the correct description.  Reading about Ransomware appears to state that any part of one's computer system including an external backup is at risk if attacked by Ransomware. 

Does it make sense to buy a second external backup and every so often say once a week disconnect the existing one replacing it with the new one and that way although one may lose the data for the period one has swapped external backups at least one has a pretty full replacement.

Does that make sense?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:21 AM

It would probably be better to do frequent full disk images and daily backups of volatile (personal) data on a removable drive.

I personally copy that to another removable drive.

See the Backup Rule of Three...

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheComputerBackupRuleOfThree.aspx

#3 Balliol

Balliol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:37 AM

Exposing my ignorance I have to admit that I have no idea what a, "full disk image" is and I thought that my External backup did a daily backup of everything.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:44 AM

Exposing my ignorance I have to admit that I have no idea what a, "full disk image" is and I thought that my External backup did a daily backup of everything.

A disk image is an exact copy of your hard drive, but is not boot-able. Multiple disk images can be stored on a single drive.

A disk clone is an exact copy of your hard drive, and is boot-able. Only one clone can exist on a single drive.

This article explains the differences, and why you would use one over the other...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029832/backing-up-your-entire-drive-cloning-vs-imaging.html

Edited by jwoods301, 03 July 2017 - 03:45 AM.

#5 Balliol

Balliol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:13 AM

The first thing that I saw when I opened this thread was the following and I could not see where it came from.

"corO.staticworld.net is a known Pishing host and was blocked"

Apart from that many thanks for all of the suggestions and help but I'm still looking for a straight answer to my question.

"Does it make sense to buy a second external backup and every so often say once a week disconnect the existing one replacing it with the new one and that way although one may lose data for the period one has swapped external backups at least one has a pretty full replacement."

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

You could...but external drives should not be constantly connected.

Ransomware can, and does, encrypt everything attached to your system and the network.

#7 Balliol

Balliol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

With great respect to all of those who have joined this thread I still have no answer to my question.

"Does it make sense to buy a second external backup and every so often say once a week disconnect the existing one replacing it with the new one and that way although one may lose data for the period one has swapped external backups at least one has a pretty full replacement."

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

And respectfully, you seem to want someone to make the decision for you.

I use two external drives in my backup process, but not in the way you propose.

Given that, it does not make sense to me.

Edited by jwoods301, 03 July 2017 - 02:59 PM.

#9 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

Hi Balliol,

Having multiple backups is a good idea. What I would suggest is that you scan the system before doing a backup, then backup onto the first external drive. Once the backup has finished then you will want to check the backup to make sure it was successful and no files are encrypted. Then scan the system again and repeat the same procedure for the second external drive.

An easier solution may be to also invest in an encrypted cloud backup, as usually they have the ability to roll back to an older file version even if the files get replaced with an encrypted copy.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

See my comments (Post #2) in this topic for the best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) and a list of prevention tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users