Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor flickers during startup, but no other time.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WhatInTheWorld79

WhatInTheWorld79

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:29 AM

Hi guys. I have a brand new Asus PG279Q monitor that I just replaced a year old PG279Q with yesterday. They are both doing the same thing, so I don't think it's actually the monitor. I have tried multiple displayport cables, gpu drivers, and even exchanged my 1080 ti for a new one, and also bought a new MB, CPU and RAM. Nothing helps... The HDMI port doesn't have these problems but it won't utilize my monitors 165hz refresh rate and/or gsync. Please help me guys, not even Asus has a clue what could be the culprit! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Have you tried another monitor entirely (not the same model, or even the same make) to see if the behavior is consistent?  I'd guess it would be, but one can never be certain.

Also, other than posing an annoyance, is this really an issue?  You could drive yourself mad trying to stop something, and perhaps succeeding and perhaps not, that occurs only at startup, not when you're actually using the machine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

Yes what stage of startup does it commence and when does it stop?  Is it actually preventing you do anything (accessing BIOS, seeing the login screen etc.?)

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 WhatInTheWorld79

WhatInTheWorld79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

It starts soon as post starts, and it doesn't stop me from getting into the bios or anything like that. It's just really annoying, paying $800 for a monitor and then having to deal with this. It only happens with displayports, I don't own any other monitors with displayports so I can't test that out. There really is no other monitor in my Micro Center that I'd like to exchange for except a more expensive one at $1200 Asus and I can't afford that one right now. Suppose I'll just have to suck it up. Oh, I forgot to add that the 1st monitor lasted for a year before this started happening, but the brand new one did it from the get go. I really think it's either the PSU, or maybe Windows. 

Edited by WhatInTheWorld79, 03 July 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

Given what you've described I, too, am doubtful that this is a monitor-based problem.

That being said, I know I'd get over this in about five minutes if it became a massive expense or massively complicated to remedy it.   You've got to pick your battles sometimes.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:28 AM

It starts soon as post starts, and it doesn't stop me from getting into the bios or anything like that. It's just really annoying, paying $800 for a monitor and then having to deal with this. It only happens with displayports, I don't own any other monitors with displayports so I can't test that out. There really is no other monitor in my Micro Center that I'd like to exchange for except a more expensive one at $1200 Asus and I can't afford that one right now. Suppose I'll just have to suck it up. Oh, I forgot to add that the 1st monitor lasted for a year before this started happening, but the brand new one did it from the get go. I really think it's either the PSU, or maybe Windows. 

That is probably the case.

#7 S0ul1984

S0ul1984

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:10 AM

Hi guys. I have a brand new Asus PG279Q monitor that I just replaced a year old PG279Q with yesterday. They are both doing the same thing, so I don't think it's actually the monitor. I have tried multiple displayport cables, gpu drivers, and even exchanged my 1080 ti for a new one, and also bought a new MB, CPU and RAM. Nothing helps... The HDMI port doesn't have these problems but it won't utilize my monitors 165hz refresh rate and/or gsync. Please help me guys, not even Asus has a clue what could be the culprit!

Hi,

I opened this new account just to give you my thoughts about this monitor. I have it too and it does the same with me as well. If you have to do something in bios, use HDMI cable because HDMI cable doesn't flicker at all. Only the DP cable has this issue.

When I format my pc, I use HDMI cable till I have installed everything then while being on desktop, I change from HDMI to DP cable.

I have been trying to find out why this monitor has this problem but I could not find it. Asus is helpless.

The only thing that came to my mind is this. The monitor has high refresh rate and because the startup screen doesn't really support more than 60hz refresh rate, the monitor is flickering by trying to get 60hz but it can't. It does flicker many times while the pc moves on. When it gets to desktop, the monitor can accept the screen size and then show the picture. For some reason DP cable and refresh rate of this monitor are not working well with startup logos. It could be the startup screen is not made for dp cable that has high refresh rate.

Try hdmi cable and you will not face any problem at all.

You don't have to use hdmi cable all the time, only when you want to go bios or install windows. Once you're on desktop with all drivers installed, change to dp cable.

Hopefully this help.

Edited by S0ul1984, 25 July 2017 - 05:20 AM.

#8 WhatInTheWorld79

WhatInTheWorld79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

Hey, thanks for your input. My monitor does not do this while in BIOS or during a windows install, only for about 5 seconds during POST.

#9 S0ul1984

S0ul1984

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

Hey, thanks for your input. My monitor does not do this while in BIOS or during a windows install, only for about 5 seconds during POST.

I want to do a test. Go in motherboard bios and remove the dp cable from graphics card for 5 seconds and then put it back in. Does the monitor show you the bios again or does it stay black? With me the monitor will not wake up again once the dp cable is removed. With hdmi, no matter how often I removed the cable from the graphics card, the monitor will not go to sleep.

If your monitor is the same like mine then the flickering will go worse with time. It's a total fail by Asus with these monitors.

#10 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

While the computer is POSTing one res is selected, it drops momentarily for the Windows splash/rolling bar logo, then jumpts to the usually higherr resolution of your desktop...

Many monitors are going to blank out during these periods, and take a second to resync to the new res...

Nothing you can fix here...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#11 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:36 AM

your probably seeing a default refresh rate or resolution coming from the bios for basic monitor usage then as windows starts to load it changes to the refresh rate or resolution of the OS.  you will see a flicker or monitor going into stand by then coming back on at this time.

this is normal.

#12 jdj9

jdj9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

Hi. I have the same problem. My monitor (Acer Predator XB271HU) flickers for a few seconds during POST only, until it arrives at the login screen. This is a really odd behavior, i never seen anything like this in my 20 years of dealing with PC's. I replaced my GPU's a couple of days ago (from 2 x 1070 SLI to a Single 1080 Ti). Before that, this problem did not exist. But, i cannot tell if this problem appeared from the exact moment i replaced the GPU. It might appeared on replacement (and failed to notice) or it might just started shortly after. It could be coincidental though, meaning that the monitor is starting to fail (?). Could it be the GPU?

EDIT: i found the cause of the problem. If you disable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) in BIOS the problem goes away... BUT....... a fresh windows install is necessary with UEFI support. I am looking into this further. I will revert back.

UPDATE: There is no need to make a fresh windows install in order to enable UEFI support. Check out this link from Microsoft, they explain how to convert from MBR to GPT very easily.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

It takes 1 minute to fix it, without needing to backup, format, reinstall OS, etc etc...

I am now able to disable CSM inm BIOS (using UEFI) and boot into windows without that annoying flickering.

Edited by jdj9, 24 September 2017 - 06:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users