Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

7/02/17 - Windows Vista update problem (stuck on checking for updates)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 The-Windows-Guy

The-Windows-Guy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

My Windows Vista machine for some reason is checking for updates and it's been sitting there checking for updates for 2 hours and nothing has changed.  It is Windows Vista Ultimate x64.  I installed about 2 updates on it that are supposed to fix this problem but nothing has fixed it.  I tried a few 3rd party programs to see if it could install the updates.  The Vista installation has almost no updates.  I know Windows Visa is not supported but is there like an update problem on Microsoft's servers?  I don't know if it's that the version of Windows Vista is too old to install updates or is it that because it's not supported that I wouldn't be able to install any old or fairly recent updates before April 11th and the patch for the wannacry ransome.   :radioactive: 

I took a look at the Windows update log and I noticed I had a lot of warnings and errors and it had a lot of problems downloading something so does anyone know what is going on?   :blink:

PS:  I am not able to show the Windows update log at this time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

See this tutorial on resetting Windows Update...

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

#3 The-Windows-Guy

The-Windows-Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

Okay I checked the log to see what would happen after using that tutorial with the link you provided and I still get the same thing in the update log.  Most of the update log is this:

https://pastebin.com/8AvqS5jF

I also have the latest Windows Update Agent installed.  

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

I would recommend downloading and running the portable version of Windows Repair (All-In-One)...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair_portable.html

#5 The-Windows-Guy

The-Windows-Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:26 PM

Now I am getting different results in the log file is this normal because it still is checking for updates.

https://pastebin.com/rAb7tY4Y

I don't really know why it's happening to be honest.

:exclame:

Edit:

Now I got an error it's error code:

C8000266

I looked this up and it means the Windows Update wasn't responding.

Screenshot:

http://imgur.com/DuzraC1

2nd Edit:

I tried Microsoft Easy Fix it on it and I still get the same problem (on aggressive mode to see if anything goes right because usually normal mode doesn't do much to Windows Update).   :wacko:

Edited by The-Windows-Guy, 02 July 2017 - 08:33 PM.

#6 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

Some of us stopped trying to fix our problem with Windows update never checking for updates, and have been using the catolog-update site to find and download the standalone installers for the updates we need.

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:32 PM

You can use Microsoft Catalog or WSUS Offline to catch up on Windows Updates.

Otherwise I would try Windows Repair (All In One), or move your personal data off the hard drive and do a clean install.

#8 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

My Windows Vista machine for some reason is checking for updates and it's been sitting there checking for updates for 2 hours and nothing has changed.  It is Windows Vista Ultimate x64.  I installed about 2 updates on it that are supposed to fix this problem but nothing has fixed it.  I tried a few 3rd party programs to see if it could install the updates.  The Vista installation has almost no updates....

Hi The-Windows_Guy:

Do you have Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed, and do you have the latest Windows Update Agent (C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll) v7.6.7600.256 (released June 2012)? 

If yes to both questions then see post # 8 in DickN's recent thread Last successful 64-bit Vista update was 8/6/2016, hangs at "Checking..." and let us know if the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours helps speed up your Windows Update. If your Vista SP2 installation "has almost no updates" then you could still be missing some required speed up patches.

Many Vista SP2 users first noticed these "Checking for updates..." hangs in August 2015 (i.e., one month after the official release of Win 10 on 29-Jul-2015) and the problem has gotten progressively worse each month.  Post #455 of KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates" includes some background information on the cause of these slow Windows Updates, and if you are affected by this problem then running repair tools will not solve your issue.

EDIT:

You can use Microsoft Catalog or WSUS Offline to catch up on Windows Updates.

If you are going to try Torsten Wittrock's WSUS Offline Update tool make sure to download the special extended support release (ESR) v9.2.2 released 03-Jul-2017 for older platforms like Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2.  The change log for the latest v11.0.0 at http://download.wsusoffline.net/ notes that this version removed support for Vista SP2.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS Premium v22.9.4.8 * MBAM Premium v3.1.2
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 03 July 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#9 The-Windows-Guy

The-Windows-Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

Thank you so much for your help one of the the links you provided got Windows Update up in running by following it now I can get all the important Windows updates and actually get Windows Ultimate Extras.  :thumbup2: 

Edited by The-Windows-Guy, 03 July 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#10 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

Thank you so much for your help one of the the links you provided got Windows Update up in running by following it now I can get all the important Windows updates and actually get Windows Ultimate Extras.

Hi The_Windows_Guy:

Thanks for the feedback, and glad to hear you got Windows Update running again.

Once Windows Update has installed all available updates and patched your Vista SP2 OS to April 2017 be sure to read the MS Answers thread More Shadow Brokers Exploits Patched June 2017 for Win XP and Vista.  Microsoft released five out-of-band security updates for Vista SP2 in June 2017 to protect against three NSA-leaked exploits (EnglishmanDentist, EsteemAudit and ExplodingCan) but these updates will not be delivered via Windows Updates.

I noticed your post today originally included a question about the WSUS Offline Update tool.  First-time users often find this tool a bit confusing because it's a two-step process - first run UpdateGenerator.exe and select what updates you'd like to install from the interface (options for Vista SP2 are located on the Legacy Products tab) to download missing updates, then run UpdateInstaller.exe (located in the Client folder) to finish the installation.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS Premium v22.9.4.8 * MBAM Premium v3.1.2

#11 The-Windows-Guy

The-Windows-Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

By the way I tried to install Dreamscene and it doesn't really work sometimes I get a black screen and I usually can't enable it (I know it's off topic but it could be an update issue) does the update installer have the capability to use any cab file because I found the Dreamscene update on the internet.

#12 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

By the way I tried to install Dreamscene and it doesn't really work sometimes I get a black screen and I usually can't enable it (I know it's off topic but it could be an update issue) does the update installer have the capability to use any cab file because I found the Dreamscene update on the internet.

Hi The-Windows-Guy:

If you're referring to the Windows DreamScene utility described in the Wikipedia article <here> that comes with Vista Ultimate it doesn't look like it's been updated for almost a decade.  Based on that description I'd guess your black screen is related to an incompatibility with the current drivers for your graphics processor (GPU).

It's not an essential utility so I'd suggest you either uninstall it or start a new topic - the WSUS Offline Update tool is designed to install missing security updates for the Vista SP2 OS / IE9 and a few Microsoft products like the MS .NET Framework and MS Office, and I doubt it could be used to install the DreamScene .cab file you found on the internet.  Just FYI, I found a 2008 post by NormCameron in the VistaForums titled Vista Ultimate & Dreamscene that discusses issues with .mpg files and video codecs as well as possible fixes for black screen errors with DreamScene.  There is also a link in NormCameron's post to the original TechJourney article Windows Vista DreamScene Not Working with Black or Blank Background Screen.

-----------

Edited by lmacri, 03 July 2017 - 05:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users