Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Cumulated Update' Wrecks My System!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

I updated to the 'so called' cumulative update KB4022716 a couple of days ago.

Every since then I have been searching, trying and with a fair amount of cursing to get my colors and display back to normal!

Everything is pixellated(sp?) and the colors washed out.
Speaking of colors .. horrible!

I can read text on a white background clearly (like this post) but Everything else is unreadable.

Buttons, links and anything outside of this message box is washed out and almost unusable!

It is not the resolution, I have already tried that ... over and over again.

I have tried changing the themes and background colors .. nothing works!

Now for the Fun part!

I uninstalled my AMD driver and restarted the pc allowing microsoft to install a new driver upon bootup.

The desktop, web pages .. Everything was crystal clear and sharp again!

Well ... within a minute or so, The D@MN screen blinks and everything is back to the MESS!

I have uninstalled the driver and restarted so many times that I have lost count!

I have tried to get to the Device Manager to see what driver microsoft is installing that fixes the display but the D@MN thing keeps blinking out and reverting back before I have a chance!

I have now 'rolled back' the update to the last one.

(Creative I think?)

On the Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise you get the "Disable Automatic Driver Updates" option after disabling the entire auto update.

(On my system, Windows 10 Home there are no other options after disabling the Automatic Update function.)

You can put off the entire update for a while but you can't stop the downloading of any of the drivers that may be wrecking your system .. as the video driver does mine!

On a site that I have trusted, many times (How-To Geek) for "How To solutions", I found the following 'tools' for doing what I can't do myself!

I have downloaded both the disable and enable tools but wont use them until I get a number of feedbacks from the experts!
(You)

With no other solution, would some of you techs please take a look and tell me what you think?

Thanks!

If you don’t feel like diving into the registry yourself, we’ve created two downloadable registry hacks you can use. One enables this option, preventing Windows Update from automatically installing driver updates. The other disables this option, restoring the default behavior. Both are included in the following ZIP file. Double-click the one you want to use, agree to add its data to your Registry, and then restart your PC.

Disable Automatic Driver Updates Hacks

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

Edited by MrClose, 02 July 2017 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

I would roll back to a System Restore point before you installed the update.

You can prevent drivers from being installed by Windows Update.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Edited by jwoods301, 02 July 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

I would roll back to a System Restore point before you installed the update.

You can prevent drivers from being installed by Windows Update.

I did rollback, un-installed the other update and it is working fine .. right now.

Problem is .. Microsoft will Not let you avoid the update forever.

And, there is no way (without a hack) to stop the drivers from downloading with the update on Windows Home pc's.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

He gave you the way to stop drivers from downloading under Windows 10 Home.  That's been the technique for a very long time now.

I have AMD Radeon graphics and long ago set my Windows 10 home to not download driver updates, and it works.  The AMD updates have been handled by their own utility.

I wrote the following quite some time back for my blind and visually impaired clients, for whom preventing driver updates is often far more critical because of the assistive technologies they use:  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

I did rollback, un-installed the other update and it is working fine .. right now.

And, there is no way (without a hack) to stop the drivers from downloading with the update on Windows Home pc's.

You may want to look again.

This tutorial from Tom's Hardware is using Windows 10 Home as the example...

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2763685/stop-windows-automatically-updating-device-drivers.html

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

jwoods301,

That second tutorial is "better" (or "worse" depending on how you look at it since we're so far past the original 1507 version of Win10) because it does show the original dialog, which was more detailed, along with the later less detailed dialog that replaced it.

As I said in my little tutorial about this change, "You do the math."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

This is the detailed list of what KB4022716 addresses...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4022716/windows-10-update-kb4022716

Two of those items are driver-related.

I would recommend doing a full disk image backup of your system before allowing the update to install.

Edited by jwoods301, 02 July 2017 - 04:32 PM.

#8 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

You may want to look again.

This tutorial from Tom's Hardware is using Windows 10 Home as the example...

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2763685/stop-windows-automatically-updating-device-drivers.html

From your (old) article you can scroll down to see where he says that option (after certain updates) is no longer available.

In the linked article that I posted above, the Geek even says that the hack was created for those of us on Home pc's that can no longer stop the auto driver update.

And stopping the auto update and reboot Does Not stop the drivers from installing.

I tried that.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

Mr Close,

Please, please, please take the time to read what you've been given as reference.  That article says that in version 1511 (which they typo-ed as 1151) the same option appears as:

2uojmeu.jpg

And it does.   My tutorial notes this, the first tutorial that jwoods301 gave the link for shows this.   This is the method one can, and does, use to prevent Windows 10 from downloading third-party device drivers.

I've used it, on many occasions, and it works.  No hacks are necessary.

~ Lauren Bacall

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:53 PM

Your welcome.

#11 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

He gave you the way to stop drivers from downloading under Windows 10 Home.  That's been the technique for a very long time now.

I have AMD Radeon graphics and long ago set my Windows 10 home to not download driver updates, and it works.  The AMD updates have been handled by their own utility.

I wrote the following quite some time back for my blind and visually impaired clients, for whom preventing driver updates is often far more critical because of the assistive technologies they use:  

Your instructions lead to where all of the other instructions have led me.

Those other options no longer exist on Home pc's after certain updates.

If successful, I will post a screen grab of my own disable page.

168vgns.jpg

#12 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

Mr Close,

Please, please, please take the time to read what you've been given as reference.  That article says that in version 1511 (which they typo-ed as 1151) the same option appears as:

2uojmeu.jpg

And it does.   My tutorial notes this, the first tutorial that jwoods301 gave the link for shows this.   This is the method one can, and does, use to prevent Windows 10 from downloading third-party device drivers.

I've used it, on many occasions, and it works.  No hacks are necessary.

I understand all of the instructions.

I've done those steps and then updated more than once and I keep getting the driver that messes up my screen.

From what I have read .. after the Creative Update rolled out ... everything changed!

That is why Geek created the hack .. in APRIL.

My disable page is as your display shows but the drivers still load after rebooting.

168vgns.jpg

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

The first two paragraphs of my instructions, which were written with blind or visually-impaired individuals as their target audience are:

The easiest way I know of to block Windows 10 from updating device drivers automatically is to hit the Windows Key, type "Change device," and then select the "Change device installation settings" dialog that's returned as the first item.

Make sure the "No" radio button is selected if you do not want Windows Update doing automatic updates for device drivers (or at least third party device drivers).

I just did these under Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.447 - which is the absolute most recent production build - and it does precisely what it says and the very screen shot you posted is what you see as soon as you activate, "Change device installation settings."

~ Lauren Bacall

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

Then it would be worth reporting what's going on to Microsoft via the Feedback Hub on the rolled back machine and be as explicit about your hardware configuration (a Speccy snapshot is very good for this), the KB update number triggering the issue, and giving a description of the issue.

It's going to have to be fixed, that's for sure, and I am not equipped to do an in-depth diagnostic on what might be causing your issue from distance.

You must also consider that there may be a corruption in your existing Windows 10 installation that is only being brought to the fore once this cumulative update is applied.  It wouldn't be the first time that a "good brick on a faulty foundation" brought something tumbling down.  The only way that theory could be tested out is to do a "from scratch" installation of Win10 from the ISO and see if your system persists in this misbehavior.  While that's not a herculean task it's not something I like doing because you've then got to reinstall all application programs or store apps that didn't come with Windows 10 and get all your user data back on the machine.  It's tedious, to say the least.

~ Lauren Bacall

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

You might also try doing a refresh of Windows 10 with the Keep my files option...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users