Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound suddenly stops working in both Linux and Windows OS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ath3n4z

ath3n4z

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

Hi, 

I have a Dell Inspiron 7560, with sound device Intel Corporation Device 9d71 (rev 21), and a dual boot configuration with Debian 9.0.1 and Windows 10.

For the third time I got problems with the sound while working on Linux. 

It seems that after a random system suspension and/or lock screen, the sound card recognition stops working. After reboot, I get Dummy output in Linux's pulseaudio and 'no audio output device installed' in Windows' sound manager. I tried restoring disk images and I still have no sound. Previous times I managed a solution, either by formatting the whole disk and make a new install of both OS, or the audio just came after I tried a bunch of solutions in the internet, and went into the bios setup and disable followed by enabling again the audio. For the latter, unfortunately I'm not sure what solution worked. 

I just wanted to ask, how is it possible that a Linux sound problem can affect Windows 10 in a different partition, and be persistent over disk image restore? What might be causing this problem? Is linux messing with the audio device's firmware configuration?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

possible that a Linux sound problem can affect Windows 10 in a different partition, and be persistent over disk image restore

The only common denominator I can think of is the motherboard drivers; try reinstalling them. If all worked ok at first, possibly they got corrupted when running Linux?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

I've run into issues (not with sound but bear with me) where an onboard network adaptor was somehow left in a unusable state by either Windows or Linux.  The problem survived "ordinary" shut down, and reboots. The solution (this was a desktop system) was to power off at the PSU for a few minutes, and power back on. This would work every time on this particular issue.  The equivalent to this on a laptop is to remove the battery for a time to completely power down the system, and re-install.

If doing this doesn't help, I wonder if there is some problem with the hardware itself, i.e. the on board audio chip.  You obviously know about enabling and disabling audio at the BIOS level, so that is something already checked.  A problem with the physical chip may involve replacing or re-soldering the audio chip, or replacing the motherboard.  It seems like quite a new system from the specs, is it still under warranty?

Edited by jonuk76, 03 July 2017 - 12:16 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 ath3n4z

ath3n4z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

I uninstalled all the audio drivers and shutdown the laptop overnight. Then I booted into Windows and the audio device started to give signs of being alive. First the audio device was recognized but still no sound. Then using the audio troubleshooting in Windows, the audio first came, but with a lot of distortion. Afterwards I installed the realtek driver given in Dell's website for my model. And with some audio adjustments, voilá (!) I have audio again! 

Unfortunately I could not test if it works in Linux because my partition image got corrupted. Now I have to find some time to reinstall my Linux Os and hope for the best in the future! 

But it's frustating, because it's the third time since I have this new laptop, and I was never able to identify the cause. Only thing I know is that it always happened while working in linux, and probably has something to do with pulseaudio communicating to lower levels.

My battery is embedded, and my laptop is still under warranty, so I'm better not to remove it. So if I'm unlucky enough to have it happening to me a fourth time, I will shutdown my laptop for some time, change the BIOS to factory settings and see if it works.

Thanks for your advices!

#5 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:57 PM

I think the problem may be due to both OS going to hibernation with UEFI BIOS. Notice that when you power off Windows 10, it goes to an hibernate state but only of the OS.

#6 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:34 AM

possible that a Linux sound problem can affect Windows 10 in a different partition, and be persistent over disk image restore

The only common denominator I can think of is the motherboard drivers; try reinstalling them. If all worked ok at first, possibly they got corrupted when running Linux?

This is exactly what came into my mind too. This anomaly is mostly due to the driver's unsuccessful installation. 

#7 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:22 AM

Let us know if reinstalling the drivers fixed this problem. or update them when you're connected to network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users