Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Show in finder?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John123Fisher

John123Fisher

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

I found some music files that I had misplaced on my iMac by doing a search in the Finder. My problem is that I still don't know where they are!
How can I get the Finder to show me the entire path, so I know which drive they're on, what folder they're in, etc.?
I'm using Sierra 10.12.5
Thanks,
John

Edited by John123Fisher, 02 July 2017 - 03:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

I don't use Sierra but if you click on 'finder', go to the file you want & click on it, then at the top of the screen click on Get Info. You'll see where it's located. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

Use Command R or Command Return to open Finder with the file selected in it's native location.

In finder itself you can use Column view to help visualise the location and/or show the status bar

Command by itself whilst the file is highlighted in the spotlight results will display the path beneath the preview, but in practice it does not have space to display the full path, so is sort of useful as a chocolate teapot!

"Get Info" as mentioned above is also available but it's not as easy to find as hinted there (assuming that we are talking about a spotlight results list). You need to use the keyboard shortcut Command i whilst the file is highlighted in the spotlight results to bring up the info window. Selecting Show All in finder at the bottom of the spotlight search list will list all file results together in a finder window from there all of the normal ways of calling up Get Info work.

x64

edited to add column view/status bar paragraph, and to clarify the various ways of getting to Get Info.

Edited by x64, 03 July 2017 - 01:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users