Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to access my mom's computer remotely

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 randomNRG

randomNRG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

My mom's having a really hard time with her new Dell computer (Windows 10 64x). She wound up at one stage having to reinstall Windows with Dell support, but since then she's been unable to install anything. 

Because she lives in Montreal and I live in Toronto, I would like to remotely access her desktop. Once upon a time, back when MSN Messenger still existed, this was a very easy task to do with a senior, but now it's just become a complicated mess, what with her needing to figure out her IP address, name her computer, etc....

Is there a mom proof solution for me to connect with her computer so I can try and figure out what's going without causing either of us any undue stress? 

Thank you so much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

Team-viewer or Logmein but by the sounds of it you'll have to go to here's to install it for her and set it up.

#3 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

I use Teamviewer for that, fairly simple to use and she doesn't have to install it, nor do you. Walk her through downloading it and tell her to run it, choose "run only" (one time use) and then select personal use at the bottom and click accept. She will get an ID number and a passcode that she needs to give to you and you type it in on your end, then you both click connect. If you or her get any firewall alerts about teamviewer just allow them. Once you connect you can setup unattended access where your mom doesn't have to be there for you to connect.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

You could also try Windows Remote Assistance, which is built in.  It's not that difficult to use and when it works (and it's been about 50/50 for me) it works well.

The first thing you'd have to have her do is hit the Windows Key and type the word Remote.  She is going to have to go to the settings for "Allow remote connections to this computer" (which will show up in the results) and make sure "Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer" is checked.

Then she'd hit the WinKey again, type "remote" again, and choose "Invite someone to connect to your PC to help you, or to offer help to someone else."  You will want to be on the phone with her to walk her through the prompts, which are pretty straightforward. 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

If your mum is anything like mine you'll end up going to do it. Mine once called me to say her pc had stopped working the screen was black I asked her is it plugged in and got power yes she says but it has a black screen an hour later still dead so I go to hers and she had not turned the plug on so she had run the battery dead. I get this type of problem maybe once a week lol mums. I have aged 100 years since she has got a pc. Hope you get it sorted.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

I would also recommend TeamViewer.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

The person needing your help would just need have the TeamViewerQS (Quick Support client), but there is nothing they need to install. It would simply need to be run when you need to connect.

See the blue Quick Support buttom on the TeamViewer page.

Tutorials and videos can be found here...

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/videos/

#7 randomNRG

randomNRG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

Thank you everyone. As suggested I used Team Viewer. They even have a Windows 10 app now and was able to resolve most of the issues. 

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

Thank you everyone. As suggested I used Team Viewer. They even have a Windows 10 app now and was able to resolve most of the issues. 

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users