Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can TDSSKiller run without internet access?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlackFive

BlackFive

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

I've been asked to run TDSSKILLER on a pc with a likely root kit infection. It won't run.

Two questions:

1. Must TDSSKiller have internet access to operate? The problem we are trying to solve is affecting internet connectivity. I can sometimes get internet in safe mode, but not in normal.

2. One website recommends changing the name of the TDSSKiller program. Will any fake name work?

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2017 - 12:20 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM/Privacy - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

It doesn't need the internet to run but it will do to get the latest update's before you run a scan.

Without the latest updates It may miss something. 

If it won't run you could try changing the name or try running another program like Malwarebytes Antimalware. 

Always before you run a scan with any antimalware tool you should update

#3 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

If you still have a malware issue you'd be better posting in the Malware section in this forum.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

You already have an open thread on this issue.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/650669/no-network-connection-in-safe-w-networking-ipconfig-help/#entry4275165

Please post your questions there.

You also haven't updated that thread with the results of the suggestions you were given.

Edited by jwoods301, 13 July 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

I've been asked to run TDSSKILLER on a pc with a likely root kit infection. It won't run.

Who asked you to run it?

Some types of malware will target security tools to keep them from running properly. In some cases it may be necessary to redownload TDSSKiller and rename it to something else (i.e. iexplore.exe, explorer.exe, winlogon.exe) before beginning the download and saving to the computer. You can also give it a random name with a .com or .scr file extension (i.e. 123abc.com, 456def.scr).

If TDSSKiller still will not run, and you are using Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7, another option to try is Symantec's Backdoor.Tidserv Removal Tool (FixTDSS) which has been successful in some cases.

If you need individual assistance with a malware infection, you should start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

OR follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide. When you have done that, start a new topic and post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users