Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

home set up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

I have an all in one, an answering service and a desktop.

I included two photos of a device attached to my gateway from Comcast to better illustrate what I am trying to understand.

An ethernet cable runs from my all in one to my router as does my desktop. This I understand.

What puzzles me is the name of the device that is inserted to the upper left of the Gateway.

It appears it is inserted in the upper left of the telephone section then two ports come out of it. One seems to go to the wall and the other to a splitter. The splitter goes to the printer then the other side goes to the answering machine.

The answering machine answers on 4 rings and the fax or all in one on 5. It all works.

What is that device and what is its function.

I always thought it was an RJ45 and changes the ethernet to analog but know I am off base.

Thank you 

PS I attached two shots to give you a better idea. The gateway only says Xfinity on it.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

Hello

I presume it would be a filter to split the signal between the phone system and the internet system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter

If it is just a 1 to 2 signal split you would probably experience problems with the internet when using the phone/fax at the same time.

Hth!

tfn

#3 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

So it is not RJ45 or RJ11 nor something to convert ethernet to analog.

It is a dsl filter to allow analog to work with the old fashioned pots line.

You are correct about the conflict with phone and fax at the same time.

Thank you

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

Hello again :)

RJ45 and RJ11 is just a name for 8 and 6 pin plugs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ45

PS: if you are experiencing problems with internet when using the phone I would suggest you call the telephone company and have them come back and install a splitter like they should have done the first time they were there.

tfn

#5 harry12

harry12

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

It's an RJ11 splitter, converts one line into two line.   Your cable box appears to be an Arris TG862G.

It serves as an Internet Router (the 4 RJ45 ports), and can provide two voice lines (actually VOIP).

In addition if it is the above model it also provides you with 802.11n wireless.  Comcast is currently

upgrading and may provide routers without the wireless.  You have just used a splitter to put your

fax and phone on the same phone line.

#6 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

I am not having any issues. I just wanted an explanation of how my setup works.

It now seems the RJ11 makes the analog and old POTS compatible & sends one line to the wall and the other to a splitter. The splitter sends one line to the printer and one to the phone answering machine.

I actually have 2 splitters;1-at the gateway up top and 2- to split a line to the phone and the other line  to the printer.

Phone 4 rings and fax 5 - works well with my Epson WF 2760.

My android phone and chromebook pick up wirelessly from the gateway's router.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Edited by PDN, 02 July 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

The splitters are known failure points so if you have phone problems look at replacing them before any other troubleshooting.

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

On the other side, I ran the same splitter for years back in the "dial-up modem" days, with no issues.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

They made things better then :-)

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts