Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run a script on site

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Is there an alternate way to make a script run besides choosing the button?

There are a few sites where buttons run by scripts will not go...particularly the add-to-cart button on a few, but not all, shopping sites.  I think it has something to do with the network because if I use the same machine, same site, at my parents, it works fine.  Regardless, is there some alternate way of making it run other than choosing the button?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

I don't know of any.

The first thing I'd be examining is what add-ons/extensions you have running on your own web browser that you're using where it doesn't work at home that are not in place on your parents' web browser.   I use a lot of privacy/security related add-ons and they can cause just this sort of problem.  Sometimes you need to whitelist a site or temporarily disable one or more of them to "unstick" a button that won't respond.

That, or do as I do and keep one "naked browser" that I can use for occasions just such as this where I'm really more concerned with getting an order in and completed than anything else.  In my case that browser is MS-Edge, which I very seldom touch otherwise.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

"if I use the same machine"--it is still my same web browser...a laptop I bring with me.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

Sorry, missed that detail, which is crucial, somehow.

You might want to contact your ISP and/or check out what your hardware firewall settings are in your router.  Behaviors such as this are really mysterious.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

It's a direct connection, no router.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,105 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:31 PM

You've got to have either a modem or a router or a switch.  These days I presume a router, but if it's a modem with a single ethernet port and a wired connection I'd still see if your ISP might be able to help you figure out what's happening (and, believe me, I know that this can be like pulling teeth - I've been there).  Since this sounds like it's happening at home, I'm not presuming a switch.

It makes no sense (as you've already said) that the same button on the same website on the same computer using the same web browser works when you're activating it using one internet connection and does not when you're using another.   And I agree that, given the number of "sames" the only different is something between your computer and the website.

Edited by britechguy, 03 July 2017 - 06:32 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

Okay, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users