Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not urgent - Trying to upgrade Windows xp home 32bit to Windows Vista 64bit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:03 PM

I am in a bit of a pickle. I shall start to tell you my tale, and you can see if you can help me. About a month or so ago I dug out an older pc running Windows XP. This computer is loaded with old software that I neither have the time, nor gumption to track down and reinstall. This install works just fine. So I made a ghost image of it, and backed it up. Fast forward to today, I am trying to use a piece of software that requires Vista, and will not run on Windows xp. I thought "I have that ghost image, why not try to see if I can upgrade this pc to Vista (as foolish as that sounds), a weekend project, one might think." Well, I am running into some issues (surprise, surprise), I start the Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit (either 32 or 64 bit, does the same thing), it says checking system, etc, then when I starts the installer it freezes and the installer.exe goes into not responding. (I checked this with Task Manager), and no matter if I load it off of a DVD, a USB thumbdrive, or off a partition on the hard drive (fastest read/write time), it always freezes. Now, on a lark I threw in a blank drive into the computer, and I am able to install a fresh copy of Vista no issues. So it isn't the hardware, isn't the installation media, it isn't the phase of the moon. Something about the Windows xp install isn't letting it continue. Now, since Vista is coming up on twelve years old, certain documentation on the Microsoft website as been phased out, 404d and etc. I am trying to track down a list of troubleshooting and or problematic programs that may cause Vista to halt installing. Or maybe looking for tips and tricks. I have disabled every third-party startup item in the msconfig to test to see if that is causing it, I have also disabled all non microsoft service to see if maybe that is causing it to hang. Still nothing. Nothing really urgent, but it would be fun to see if I can upgrade. thanks in advance.   

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,987 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

I would surmise you need to wipe the existing XP partitions before installing Vista. Replace your XP drive. Boot Vista and at the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the number associated with the disk you will be installing Vista to. If you only have one drive it will be 0.

clean                 This will delete all existing partitions and set the drive for a clean install so perhaps you should be sure your ghost image is good. 

exit                    Exits diskpart

exit                    Exits command prompt

continue with the install

#3 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, I want to keep my programs. As I've said in the prior post. I want to upgrade. Microsoft created the upgrade feature to...do just that.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:05 AM

If your CPU is 32 bit, you will not be able to use 64 bit Vista.

Edited by jwoods301, 02 July 2017 - 01:05 AM.

#5 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:46 AM

The CPU is 64bit....Core 2 quad

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:01 AM

I would open an elevated Command prompt in XP and run sfc /SCANNOW.

It may take 3 or 4 times to fix any corruption it may find.

Then, from a Command prompt run chkdsk /r

You might also check the XP licensing.

Download and run the free tool ShowKeyPlus...

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases

See the upgrade paths chart from XP to Vista...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5zm7txbvbtnh40/XP%20to%20Vista%20Chart.JPG?dl=0

Edited by jwoods301, 02 July 2017 - 03:37 AM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:09 AM

I was going to mention reviewing the possible upgrade paths, but I see jwoods301 has already linked to a table. Microsoft documentation for both 32bit and 64bit paths:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/932616/installation-choices-for-consumer-versions-of-windows-vista-32-bit-onl

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/932795

They provide some additional information, for example "Upgrading is not supported for some language versions of Windows XP".

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Ok, thank you for the info. I shall take a look into those and see what that gets me. I will report back with what has happened. As a side note, I formatted the drive I had made the image from, installed a fresh copy of XP from the same CD I used to install the original install, and I was able to upgrade to Vista. So it isn't my hardware, or drive, or the optical drive, or the CD-ROM. I will ghost the hard drive back and then see if I can run the check and see if Vista will install. It is running Windows XP Home 32-bit English

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users