Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asst needed Please :-( - Laptop Hard Freezes & Hose Pps

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TPGA01

TPGA01

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

Hello,

First i want to thank you all for all the assistance you provide so many every day!  I am long time lurker (since 2013) who has learned much here.

However, I now find myself stumped.

Lately my laptop has been hosing up solid; unable to get it to respond using the basic methods (i.e. Alt ctl delete and other) only a hard shut down brings it back to life

I have performed various scans for infections/malware and such all return clean results

I lean towards the latest Win 10 creator update and possible driver causing these issues?.

Event logs are concerning 

Other symptoms include; slow application and browser response times and slow boot times

Though instead of trying this and that; causing further harm I seek your help or before I  :smash:

Laptop specs:

Asus Q553UB (2-in-1)  

i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz

RAM 12.0GB

Intel HD Graphics 520

NVIDIA GeForce 940M 2G

2TB Seagate (SATA)

Just in case i provide a speccy view: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FN3FmYrSeDse6n2XAq4nyQo

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

Check that your air intake and output ports are clean - vacuum them if necessary.

Your CPU is rated to run at up to 100 degrees C, so it shouldn't be the problem, but the range for the operating temperature of your HDD is 60 degrees C, and you're significantly above limit there.  See the spec sheet:  http://www.seagate.com/www-content/support-content/samsung/internal-products/spinpoint-m-series/en-us/samsung-m9t-internal-ds.pdf 

You might also be seeing signs of imminent hard drive failure.  If you don't have your data backed up that's the first thing I'd do.  Then I'd download Seagate SeaTools and check out what it finds regarding your HDD.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 TPGA01

TPGA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

Hi Brian

Thank you for your response and your time!

oops... I realized when I ran Speccy before I was outside and it was warm.  Sorry about that.

here is another run

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Yv2p0SgZIOwYCZYQDd741wZ

Back up is a regular process for me, all good there. :thumbup2:  

You do not feel the hose ups could be related to the latest win10 1703 update ? I only ask because issues began afterwards, system is just a year old :unsure: .. but i know failures can occur anytime.

i will run the HDD Diagnostics as suggested and will post back the results

Be back soon!

THANK YOU!!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:11 PM

It certainly could be the result of the update to Version 1703.

If you take full system backups, and in this case I'd take separate data file backups, too, since that's easier to reload just your user data from, you also have the option of doing a Windows 10 Reset or a clean install.   Given the age of the machine there had ought not be problems with Windows 10 unless there is a corruption (or, as I like to call it, burp) of some kind in the OS.  Windows 10 makes it easier than any prior version of Windows to do a reinstall.

You could also try updating your Windows 10 installation using the Windows 10 ISO file, burned to bootable media.  With any luck, even though you're already on Version 1703, you might get the "Keep my apps and files" option as is shown here:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-creators-update/617a37da-8fc0-4f33-a3eb-59fe9082f925 

I would definitely download Belarc Advisor, or similar, to assist in getting an inventory of the applications and/or license keys present on your machine in case you do need to do a clean install.  It makes it much easier to know what you'll need to reinstall.

By the way, your temperatures in that second snapshot are not much different at all from the first and the drive temperature is way above what the spec sheet indicates it should have as a maximum operating temperature.

Edited by britechguy, 02 July 2017 - 04:14 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 TPGA01

TPGA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

Hi Brian

I chose the long scan, so we will be scanning for a while yet.

Thank you very much for the direction and links relating to the win10 updates. I will definitely research.

I was concerned about the temp being still to high.. http://www.seagate.com/www-content/support-content/samsung/internal-products/spinpoint-m-series/en-us/samsung-m9t-internal-ds.pdf this spec sheet ref Max 140F temp; my drive is reporting 85F. Could this be a fahrenheit vs celsius mixup? It could be me.. I am just coming off a 75 hr tcoe week and I have a bit of brain mush going on.

Will def download Belarc Advisor application, i had forgotten about that little handy reporting tool !

Again, thank you for your assistance, i will post drive diagnostic result and results from above

Regards

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

I take back my statement about temperatures since this is the first and only time I have ever seen a Speccy snapshot report in degrees F rather than degrees C.  Since virtually every piece of documentation I've ever seen uses degrees C, and Speccy has always used degrees C by default, I didn't even look that it had somehow used Fahrenheit to report for yours.

I still suspect you may have some sort of drive issue occurring and SeaTools should tell you whether my suspicion is correct or just a SWAG.

#7 TPGA01

TPGA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

No offense, hoping it was a SWAG lol.. (respectfully) .... 52% thru scan..... i will post outcome

Thanks again😊

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

I take back my statement about temperatures since this is the first and only time I have ever seen a Speccy snapshot report in degrees F rather than degrees C.  Since virtually every piece of documentation I've ever seen uses degrees C, and Speccy has always used degrees C by default, I didn't even look that it had somehow used Fahrenheit to report for yours.

I still suspect you may have some sort of drive issue occurring and SeaTools should tell you whether my suspicion is correct or just a SWAG.

Speccy - View > Options >  General tab (default) - Interface section.

#9 TPGA01

TPGA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

Hi Brian, hoping all is well today!

below are the results of the HDD scans using seagate tool. 3 scans performed no disk issue results

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.4 ---------------

7/2/2017 4:56:18 PM

Model Number: ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD

Serial Number: S36XJ9AH110126

Firmware Revision: 2BE10001

Identify - Started 7/2/2017 4:56:18 PM

Model Number: ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD

Serial Number: S36XJ9AH110126

Firmware Revision: 2BE10001

Drive Capacity: 2.00 TB / 1.82 TiB

Max LBA: 3907029167

Cache Size: 31 MB

Lifetime Bytes Read: 1.49  GB

Lifetime Bytes Written: 2.40  GB

Power-On Hours: 5376

Annualized Workload Rate [ (Writes + Reads) * (8760 / POH) ]: 0.01 TB/yr

Drive Temperature (C/F): 31 / 88

WWN: 50004CF211A417AC

Sector size (Logical/Physical/Allignment): 512 / 4096 / 0

Signal Speed (Max/Negotiated): 6.0 / 6.0 Gb/s

Transport Supported: SATA 3.0

Rotation rate: 5400 RPM

Form factor: 2.5 inch

Specification Supported: ATA8-ACS

Encryption Support: Not Supported

Security Mode: Supported, Frozen

SMART: Enabled

Host Protected Area features: Enabled

Advanced Power Management: Enabled

Download Microcode: Segmented

Short DST - Started 7/2/2017 4:56:44 PM

Short DST - Pass 7/2/2017 4:57:35 PM

SMART - Started 7/2/2017 5:01:10 PM

SMART - Pass 7/2/2017 5:01:15 PM

Long Generic - Started 7/2/2017 5:01:43 PM

Long Generic - Pass 7/2/2017 10:47:02 PM

i wonder now if chrome is the issue. I had another lock up occur last night; i was streaming; hard shut down required again.

Just in case i did run FRST and Minitool logs , i can post if needed or any other report you feel may bring more insight

I wonder if 1703 is conflicting with graphics or something like that

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Cx5GOVtjgZQAx312GHiQpKn

Thank you!

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

TPGA01,

We are now veering into territory that I do not feel I have the expertise to address adequately.  I just wanted to let you know this so that you would not believe that I am ignoring your message.

At this point I am hoping that someone else will step into the breech to assist.

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

I would suggest doing a Clean Boot and see if the problem persists...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

#12 TPGA01

TPGA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hello
Thank you Brian, please know i appreciate your time and trying to help. J woods, I will give that a try and let you know how it works out.

#13 TPGA01

TPGA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hello 

Followup

i performed the clean boot process as suggested and first thought it had worked. Unfortunatley had 2 more freeze ups.  More details observed.. system freeze ups only occurs when watching youtube or other cam streams, when freeze occurs speakers make buzz noise.  immediately ran speccy for temps after reboot  temp within good ranges. Systems has two graphic types nvidia gforce 940M and intel hd 520 integrated.  Since this may be a graphics issue; would this still be in the correct forum? 

#14 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

You're fine here.

Follow the BSOD log gathering instructions from Sysnative, and post the results here...

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/68-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

Note: Even though a BSOD has not been reported, the Sysnative tool pushes out a lot of good information for overall troubleshooting.

#15 TPGA01

TPGA01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

Great! I am on it.. will post back results

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users