Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering music and other files from a PC to an iPhone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

Hey, do you always have to filter through iTunes any file that you want to send from a Windows PC to an iPhone via either a cable or Bluetooth? Or can you just connect the device to the computer, much like Android can, have it show up in 'My Computer' and simply Cut/Paste the files onto the iPhone?

In short, does every file have to filtered through iTunes before going onto an iPhone?

Thanks!:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

This is how I used to do it "back in the day" for iPods (may or may not work on an iPhone)...example uses the My Documents folder

1. Plug in the iPod.

2. Start iTunes.

3. Verify that your iPod name (i.e. “John Doe”) and the “eject button” shows on the left side of the screen, and that “Enable Disk Drive” is checked.

4. Minimize iTunes.

5. Double click on “My Computer” on your desktop. Your iPod name and a drive letter (i.e. “F:”) should display in the list of disk drives.

6. Double click on the iPod drive letter.

7. Open the “My Documents” folder on the iPod. This will display a list of all folders and files.

8. Double click on the “My Documents” shortcut on your desktop.

9. Locate the folder or files you want to copy, right-click and at the same time, drag the folder to the iPod disk drive folder and release.

10.  Select “Copy here”.

Edited by jwoods301, 01 July 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

Thanks! But that still means that you have to have iTunes installed. I was just wondering whether you can plug an iPhone in some random PC which doesn't have iTunes or any other Apple software installed and have the iPhone show up under 'My Computer', much like Android phones can (as long as you select the correct option upon being asked on the device when you connect it with a USB cable). :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 01 July 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

Right...having iTunes installed was never an issue for us.

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

With an easy Google search containing your question, here are a few links that you might take your time to read through. There will most certainly be an option that will fit your request for information. Remember, you must firstly make sure that your iPhone is recognized in device manager/My PC. There are several Google suggestions advising how to do that as well.

http://www.wikihow.com/Put-Music-on-Your-iPhone-Without-iTunes

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/put-music-your-iphone-without-using-itunes-0147391/

https://www.copytrans.net/blog/how-to-transfer-music-to-iphone-without-itunes/

https://www.imobie.com/support/transfer-music-from-computer-to-iphone-5s.htm

https://tunesgo.wondershare.com/iphone-transfer/transfer-music-to-iphone-without-itunes.html

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

Thank you! So, it turns out there is no way of just 'dragging and dropping' what you want on your iPhone the way you can on Android. It always requires some sort of a workaround. That's all I needed to know. Thanks!:thumbup2:

#7 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,522 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

:lmao: iSay...that's too easy! As an iUser....iTunes runs the show for me and music. I will say that IMO, the first link did offer some interesting workarounds. Dropbox seems to be mentioned quite often.

Do you have an iPhone?

Keep us posted if you do find a drag and drop method...you'll be an iPhone hero.  :oneeye:

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:56 PM

No, I don't. I just wondered whether it was possible or not. The only thing music-wise that I strongly dislike about the iPhone, and pretty much all flagship smartphones nowadays, is the lack of a radio. Am I the only one who liked this feature?! All manufacturers either are or already have removed this feature from their flagship devices.:lmao:

#9 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,522 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

I'm not so sure JOQ? I still use my transistor radio and have no complaints  :guitar:

Edit to add:

<snip>

Both TuneIn Radio and iHeartRadio are free apps, available from the Apple App Store. I tend to prefer TuneIn Radio, as it isn’t linked to the Clear Channel empire, but you should try ‘em both and then use the one you like best. Either app is a great way to listen to your favorite AM and FM radio stations, from anywhere in the U.S. </end>

Read here for other iPhone/radio information:

https://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2019162

Edited by softeyes, 01 July 2017 - 08:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users