Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help- Multi Finger Graphics Program

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bon1

bon1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hi. I'm in no way a programmer. Not even close. Thats why I'm here asking the experts for help. Anyways here goes... I'm looking for an art/drawing/painting software that will allow for simultaneous multiple brush strokes to be laid down at the same time. For example... When using the Microsoft Paint program, if you drag 4 fingers (or 10 for that matter) across a touch screen, there will be a separate brush stroke applied for each finger or touch point respectively. When using other more advanced programs though, if you drag multiple fingers only 1 stroke will show up- the first one making contact- and the others will just show up as ghost points floating around the screen but not laying the strokes down. Sometimes no strokes at all will be laid down because of some other reason that I also don't understand. The only way to get a certain stroke laid down is to use 1 finger or touch point at a time. 

So, Can anyone explain why this happens? Could it be fixed with a setting or certain code implanted somewhere, or is this a much more advanced problem? I have seen a couple other programs that is does work with but they are also very basic ones such as one called 'Finger Paint" and one called "Finger Taps". They are basically for kids fingerpainting... I just need something with the best of both worlds (the simple and advanced art worlds) and am having a hard time finding it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 egjk

egjk

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

tldr: i assume that the additional touches are being ignored in the programmes which don't allow/feature multi touch drawing, probably as a design feature to prevent accidental drawing/erasing/whatever from touches that are accidental

computer programs can be thought of in terms of inputs and outputs, in this case the input is the location of a touch/click and the output is the corresponding painting that appears on the screen

so, when the programmers wrote the programme they wrote something like "when a click/tap happens, take the x,y coordinate of the tap and make a dot appear at x,y"

the reason that not all programmes allow multi touch drawing is, i assume, because it has not been catered for (could possibly be an additional setting somewhere?)

this makes sense in a way because if you are drawing on your ipad and your wrist accidentally touches the screen you don't want to have to clean up after yourself for every accidental additional touch

touch screens obviously have capabilities for taking more than one touch as input (think pinching to zoom in etc) but i assume that some designers consider the multi touch to be a hindrance in drawing programmes due to the accidental touch / mess factor

so for example the microsoft code might be something like "when someone interacts with the canvas at x,y make a dot at x,y" and have that implemented for every single interaction (ie touch), but another vendor might have something like "when someone interacts with the canvas at x,y make a dot at x,y BUT if there is already another interaction then ignore the new interraction and use the original x,y" 

which explains why when you try to use multiple fingers you see a mess: the programme is drawing at the points of the most recent touch (or more accurately the most recent touch as it has determined through input from the touch screen which may be inaccurate in multi touch cases - caused by pressure changes possibly??)

this is actually quite an interesting topic, i hope this answers your question at least a little bit :)

Edited by egjk, 03 July 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#3 bon1

bon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Thank you for the insight. Would there be any way to go into a program to change this code that is hindering the multi-touch drawing function that you described? Meaning, if I bought and downloaded an art/drawing app, could I then go into the coding somehow and change it (or more likely pay a programmer to do so) to allow for this feature? Thanks again

#4 egjk

egjk

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:34 AM

I think that editing the code is not really feasible, most companies make software you have to pay for so they will try to protect their code as it is their property.
You have a couple of options though, you could email the company and ask if they could implement this feature. I think if you already have the software this is probably the best idea.
Other options would be to research which apps have this feature and download those instead, or find something open source and if they don't have the feature try and request it from them. I found this link for some open source drawing apps https://opensource.com/life/16/5/open-source-drawing-applications-android

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users