Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

scan contaminated ext HD without contaminating the scanning PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tomterific

Tomterific

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

Don't want to loose what is on it, just clean it.

Not sure it can be done.

Can anyone tell me how?

Edited by britechguy, 01 July 2017 - 02:32 PM.
Moved since infection is present and removal necessary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

My recommendation would be to go to the Panda Security site and download and install Panda USB Vaccine, making sure to enable the NTFS vaccine feature since you're dealing with an external hard drive.  This should protect you from anything that would auto-execute when you plug in the drive.

After it's plugged in I would immediately force a scan on it with the antivirus/security suite software on your computer and let it quarantine whatever it finds.  After that I'd do the same thing on that drive (or the whole computer, your call) with an antimalware scanner such as Malwarebytes or Zemana Antimalware.  Zemana has a portable version that can be run without actually installing it on your system.  I would, however, recommend that you have an antimalware scanner installed regardless of the one you choose.  The portable version can be very handy in this particular circumstance, though.

I'm sure someone else will probably recommend yet another set of antimalware tools that you might use either in place of the two I just mentioned or in addition to them.  But this is a good start.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

You could load the PC in question with a bootable LINUX scanner, such as Kaspersky's Rescue CD....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

So much depends on what you believe this drive is infected with, too.

If it's something that requires user intervention to spread, and you know this, then just plugging in the drive and using tools such as I mentioned before should work just fine.

If it's something like a worm that changes the equation significantly, and using a bootable solution that does not expose your computer's actual operating system and all that goes with that to infection is the way to go.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Tomterific

Tomterific
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

Great help. I'll try these. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users