Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive "sticking out".

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ohmama

ohmama

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

This is probably quite a dumb question but I've been googleing and haven't found an answer.

I got a laptop about a week ago from a hardware engineer. Its a Fujitsu Lifebook (2011) but has been done up to a better standard and is running Windows 10 with 8gb RAM.

Anyway, I noticed that the hard drive - or what I think is the hard drive - is "sticking out", as in it is screwed in but isn't resting flat. This has me worried. I carefully took it off and couldn't see why and am thinking that this is, perhaps, because it is a new hard drive and, as such, might just be slightly bigger than whatever was in there before. Everything is in its right place, I have done an error check on C:\ as well and found no issues. Also, the hard drive seems to run smoothly, no noise and the computer is fast. No issues with overheating or anything either.

Should I be worried? Could it get damaged/just fall out? And is there anything I can do for peace of mind?#

Regards,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ohmama

ohmama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

ESvVeA.jpg
FMY3WZ.jpg
T25OIk.jpg pictures

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

My suspicion is that your suspicion is right.

You can confirm it by looking up replacement drives that are "guaranteed to fit" this machine based on the specs of the original (and I mean physical size specs, not drive capacity specs).

Then look up the specs on the actual drive that's been installed.  I would not be at all shocked that someone threw in something that's just the slightest bit thicker than the bay was designed for that will function, and probably continue to function, but really doesn't fit like it should.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 ohmama

ohmama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

will it be okay (for now at least)? 

i can't afford a new HD til payday next week and i have work to do!

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:04 PM

I can't answer your question because I don't know if the drive is actually fastened down under the cover such that it cannot move (in which case you could keep it forever if you can stand the bump) or if someone slapped it in, sans carrier, and hoped that the cover would not ever break and is relying on the friction/pressure of that cover to hold it in place.

Essentially, as long as it does stay firmly in place if it's working there's no reason to believe that it won't continue working unless exposed to abuse.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

If you purchased it from a company (i.e. hardware engineer does refurbishing as a business) rather than a private party, take it back.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

2.5" HDD come in two thicknesses - 9.5 and 12.0mm, see this article for clarification -

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2.5-inch-12.5-mm-9.5-mm,review-31902.html

Their technical performance is pretty well interchangeable, it's just the thickness that can cause a 'fit' problem. The other two dimensions are the same.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

Should be pretty easy to see if the hard drive is causing that, remove the cover and take out the hard drive. Put the cover back on without the hard drive and see if it's the same. Could be that it isn't snapping all the way back on, I have experienced that before.

#9 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

2.5" HDD come in two thicknesses - 9.5 and 12.0mm, see this article for clarification -

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2.5-inch-12.5-mm-9.5-mm,review-31902.html

Their technical performance is pretty well interchangeable, it's just the thickness that can cause a 'fit' problem. The other two dimensions are the same.

Chris Cosgrove

Actually, many of the newer slim drives are even 7mm.  But, yes, it's almost certain that the drive was replaced with one that's too thick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users