Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux on Asus EeeBook X205TA

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Elil-Hrair-Rah

Elil-Hrair-Rah

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

Hi,

I am wanting to try LInux on my Netbook, an ASUS EeeBook X205TA (https://www.asus.com/uk/Commercial-Laptops/ASUS_EeeBook_X205TA/specifications/) but am having a few problems booting. I am pretty much a Linux noob, having only dabbled a little bit in the past.

I have tried a couple of Puppies (Tahr and Slacko as 32-bit) and FatDog64 on USBs made via Rufus, Linux LIve USB Creator and Universal USB Installer, all to no avail. (I disabled SecureBoot and FastBoot). I tried a few of the USBs on my main computer and they booted, so it was not a problem creating the USBs.

From what I have read the problem is that the netbook is UEFI only, with no Legacy Boot support. Complicating this is that the bootloader is exclusively 32-bit, whilst the processor is 64-bit.

So getting to my main question, am I right in thinking that the Puppies will not work on this netbook? Follow up question, any recommendations for a distro that will work and work well on my little netbook?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:46 AM

Mm. Somebody's a fan of 'Watership Down', I see.....

(Yes, I recognise the source of your user-name..!)

Well, now; Puppies and UEFI. I've never heard of an 'exclusively' 32-bit bootloader, y'know. (All the bootloader does is to pass control over to the kernel and system initialization stuff, which will be 64-bit or 32-bit depending on the way the distro itself is compiled). And 64-bit processors will run both 64- and 32-bit software (although, not usually at the same time!) That's due to the nature of the x86-64 architecture, since it's based on extensions to the original x86.

I've run nowt but Pups for the last 3 years or so (currently running around a dozen of 'em.) FatDog64 should run on there with no problems; it was the original Puppy 'spin-off' that concentrated exclusively on the UEFI problem. Kirk & jamesbond, the FD developers, realised early on that there was no real 'workaround' for the problem, and understood that the only realistic solution was to fork over the required $99 to M$ for a UEFI 'shim'. That shim has since been shared around the Puppy Woof-CE development 'team', since they were very careful to specify no particular Puppy version when registering it.

You should find that this version of Tahrpup64 will run on there with no problems:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr64-6.0.6-uefi.iso

Download this for now. You say you've been able to boot Puppy on your other machine with no problems? Because if you have, it'll make the necessary operations very much simpler if we can do this from within Puppy itself, rather than attempting to use Windows tools.....

Like you, I doubt the problem lies with Puppy itself; these UEFI-enabled Pups are built with both EFI and MBR components, and will auto-load the correct modules depending on what hardware Puppy detects at start-up. It's more likely a need to figure out exactly how to boot from the netbook.....getting the sequence right.

(Although I understand that there are certain machines on the market now that point-blank refuse to boot anything but Windoze, and won't boot Linux under any circumstances at all...even UEFI-equipped Linux distros.)

Let's hope that isn't the case here.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 02 July 2017 - 07:00 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 Elil-Hrair-Rah

Elil-Hrair-Rah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the help - I might possibly have been re-reading Watership Down when I made this account...

I found where I read the bit about the bootloader - it was on the Arch wiki: 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_x205ta

but Arch is a bit hardcore for me. 

I have downloaded that iso and burnt it to USB using Rufus. I gave it a shot on the EeeBook, but no luck, however it boots fine on my main Computer.

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

Reading the Arch wiki about booting from USB on the X205TA, have you done what it says about disabling 'Secure Boot', when you tried the 'standard' 32-bit Tahr 6.05? Admittedly, this shouldn't make any difference with the UEFI-enabled Tahr64 6.06, since it's UEFI-capable. It ought to boot up straight away without any hassle.....

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 Elil-Hrair-Rah

Elil-Hrair-Rah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:58 AM

Yup, I tried it both with and without Secure Boot. When I select the USB to boot from, the screen goes black, nothing happens and the selection menu appears again. The equivalent happens in select the USB in the boot override bit in the BIOS. 

Edit to add:

On the main computer the USB just worked - I did not have to go into BIOS and change any settings.

Edited by Elil-Hrair-Rah, 02 July 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Seems to be a big issue booting USB from this computer.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Asus+EeeBook+X205TA+will+not+boot+from+usb

I think your problem may relate to the 32bit bootloader. What happens if you enable CSM boot in your UEFI settings? 

Linux distros, from what I have read, do not have 32bit UEFI loaders. You need to modify the loader per the link provided by Mike. Also see this link.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/775498/ubuntu-on-32-bit-uefi-only-based-tablet-pc

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 July 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#7 Elil-Hrair-Rah

Elil-Hrair-Rah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

Unfortunately CSM boot does not seem to be an option in the BIOS - could it be under another name?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

It would be called Legacy Boot. In the link I provided there is a link to a 32bit UEFI loader, bootie32.efi. You can download it and place it in your EFI/Boot/ folder on the USB flash drive and see if it now boots.

#9 Elil-Hrair-Rah

Elil-Hrair-Rah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hi John,

Thank you for helping, too.

No Legacy Boot either, unfortunately. They are not making this easy for us, are they?

The USB has no "EFI" folder, only a "Help" folder.

So, I created a second USB and made an "EFI" folder, made a "Boot"  folder in that and placed the bootia32.efi in there. This has gotten me a bit farther - when I selected this new USB on boot it took me to a GRUB screen:

"GNU GRUB version 2.00"

"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions."

Then with a "grub>" command line bit.

Pressing TAB did indeed bring up possible command completions. There were quite a lot of them and I have no idea what any of them do, but if you need them I can provide a list. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

On the puppy UEFI version use Unetbootin. Or, bypass puppy for a bit and use a Mint distro iso. I think your computer can handle it. Use Unetbootin to create the bootable USB. If Unetbootin does not work then use ImageUSB and the iso file. I had a poster who could not get a linux iso to boot on his computer with a USB until he used ImageUSB. It may work for you.

Edit: What is the size of your storage capacity on the computer?

- 32GB eMMC 
- 64GB eMMC 
- 128GB eMMC

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 July 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#11 Elil-Hrair-Rah

Elil-Hrair-Rah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:02 PM

Hi John,

I have tried Unetbootin for Puppy with no luck.

I am about to try ImageUSB, and then I will give Mint a go.

It has 32GB eMMC which is part of the reason I am trying to migrate slightly form Windows 10 on it - last big upgrade it wanted a silly amount of free space (16GB if memory serves) without letting me use an external USB. I think I used the Media Creation Tool-thing in the end to get around it the end, but it was annoying that it kept on trying and failing to apply this update.

Edited to add:

Huh. ImageUSB'ing it removed the USB from the boot options. I gave it a second go in case something got corrupted, but again, no option in the boot list.

Edited by Elil-Hrair-Rah, 02 July 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

Pressing TAB did indeed bring up possible command completions. There were quite a lot of them and I have no idea what any of them do, but if you need them I can provide a list. 

Go ahead and provide the list if Mint and ImageUSB do not work. One of the linux experts can hopefully get some insight from it.

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

@ Elil-Hrair-Rah:-

Where did you get UNetbootin from? I'm only asking because the only version I've found that actually works for installing Puppy is a specially-modified one, which takes into account Pup's 'running-as-root' operation.

Most of the time the standard version of UNetbootin won't allow you to select your USB drive, for some unfathomable reason best known to itself.....

Mike.  :wink:

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 Elil-Hrair-Rah

Elil-Hrair-Rah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

Hi Mike,

I got it from the link John kindly provided in post #10. I just clicked the big "Download Windows" button.

John - I tried Cinnamon-Mint (an interesting flavour combination it must be said) in 32-bit and 64-bit, made with Rufus an UNetbootin, but it was as unbootable as Puppy  :(

The GRUB options were:

appleloader authenticate badram boot break cat chainloader clear continue cutmem dump exit export fakebios gettext help initrd insmod keymap linux list_env load_env loadbios loopback ls lsmod menuentry net_add_addr net_add_dns net_add_route net_bootp net_del_addr net_det_dns net_del_route net_get_dhcp_option net_ipv6_autoconf net_ls_addr net_ls_cards net_ls_dns net_ls_routes net_nslookup normal normal_exit parttool read_byte read_dword read_word return rmmod save_env search search.file search.fs_label search.fs.uuid set setparams shift submenu terminal_input terminal_output unset write_byte write_dword write_word xnu_devprop_load xnu_kernel xnu_kernel64 xnu_kext xnu_kextdir xnu_mkext xnu_ramdisk xnu_resume xnu_splash

Edited by Elil-Hrair-Rah, 02 July 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

Well, I'm stumped. 

I've never before come across a UEFI-capable machine that won't boot a UEFI-eqipped Linux distro. The only thing I can think of is that it must have an extremely 'locked-down' TPM (Trusted Platform Module).

What do you think, John? Make any kind of sense to you? It's the only thing that occurs to me at this juncture...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- Seems this is a well-known problem with this particular machine. You two were right on the button when you and John were discussing this 'mixed-mode' set-up; 64-bit CPU, but 32-bit UEFI firmware.....and no legacy (MBR) mode in the BIOS. Jeez, what a fr***in' dozy set-up..!

I wonder which Asus engineer crapped that one out when he visited the little boy's room.....

There's a shed-load of hits on a Duckduckgo search I performed:-

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Asus+X205TA+won%27t+boot+Linux&t=h_&ia=qa

Unfortunately, I have no experience at all of UEFI, so I really can't speak with any kind of authority on this stuff...

Mike.  :scratchhead:  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 02 July 2017 - 04:46 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users