Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32-bit architecture capacity for HD accessibility

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ziloo

ziloo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

Hello Folks,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop that is a 32-bit computer.  I know there is a maximum

capacity for a 32-bit computer to address Ram memory.  Is there also a maximum limit for

such a computer to read from a hard disk.  In other words, if I have stored let's say 180 GB on a

320 GB Hard Drive, I start getting messages that "There is no more space available on your HD".

What if it is an external HD?

Thanks

ziloo  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hi,

Its a tricky question there are limitations on several things check this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/291876-32-hard-disk-space-limit

Can you post the exact model of the processor you have and also the Operating System?

I don't think the error you mention have something to do with a 32 bits Operating System, it could be related with the filesystem in use or something else.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

There's a limit of 2 Terabytes on disks formatted using MBR (Master Boot Record) partition styles, which are the only type that 32 bit systems can boot from.  On 32 bit Windows using NTFS, you should therefore be able to install it to a single 2 Tb partition on a 2 Tb disk.

Historically there were other limits such as Windows 2000 and Windows XP pre SP1 could only use partitions up to 128 Gb.

If using FAT 32 (which very few should be these days on a main drive, it's commonly used on USB storage however), then I believe the largest partition size is 128 Gb (with Windows 98, or 3rd party tools), modern versions of Windows will limit creation of FAT 32 partitions to 32 Gb.  It's possible to have more than one partition on a physical disk.

There are workarounds for these limits. For example, I have a 3 Tb external drive (Samsung D3, made by Seagate) which uses some onboard hardware to present the disk as having 4096 byte sectors instead of 512 bytes, which allows older operating systems like XP to access the full 3 Tb.

In other words, if I have stored let's say 180 GB on a

320 GB Hard Drive, I start getting messages that "There is no more space available on your HD".

I'm not aware of any limitations (software or hardware) which fall around the 180 Gb mark.  If that is a specific problem you're having, then please open Disk Management by running diskmgmt.msc and attach a screenshot showing how your drives are currently formatted and partitioned.

Edited by jonuk76, 01 July 2017 - 01:30 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

Yes.  You can use NTFS up to maybe 4TBs or better yet use exFAT because it was designed for over 2TBs.

Storage is limitless

(imagine the famous Matrix scene with the pure white background and a whole rack of hard drives that approachs you for a selection of your arsonal.)

#5 ziloo

ziloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

In other words, if I have stored let's say 180 GB on a

................ and attach a screenshot showing how your drives are currently formatted and partitioned.

............ Would you please explain how I can embed an image in my post.... :blush:

ziloo

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

To take the screenshot:

In XP select the Disk Management window and press Alt + PrntScrn, which saves the image to the clipboard, then open MS Paint and Paste the image into a blank canvas. Save the image.

Vista onwards - use Snipping Tool and save the file somewhere you can easily find it (e.g. "My Pictures").

To Upload:

It's probably easiest to upload the image file to an image hosting site such as http://tinypic.com  Uploading is self explanatory on that site. The next step is to link the image to the forum. Once the image is uploaded you should see the following screen:

adhwyg.png

Copy the content of the second yellow box down (IMG Code for Forums) and paste it into your reply.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 ziloo

ziloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:03 AM

Thank you all for your brilliant comments.

As a follow up on what has been happening, I started getting sporadic messages such as " no hdd to boot from"

and after turning off the computer and turning on again after a few hours, the  notebook would boot into win 7.

I suspected that I might be overheating the computer in the summer time without any auxiliary fan on the bottom.

So, I placed the laptop on a base about 3 inches above the table with natural ventilation, and now I have not had

any problems for 2 days now,  I will wait and see what happens.

Thank you all again

p.s. I did all available tests on the hdd and there was no bad sector anywhere.

ziloo  :busy:

Edited by ziloo, 10 July 2017 - 06:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users