Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enabling Parental controls for specific devices over wifi

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:51 AM

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for who helps me here and give their ideas and all readers.

Suggest me a process or software or options for enabling parental controls for only specific devices over my Wifi.

Things we have : 

2 Netgear Routers.

2 Switches.

25 Desktops.

Perhaps a 10-15 mobile phones of staff.

The network setup is like :

"ISP to Router I; Router I to Switch I ; Switch I to Router II and Switch II and 8 systems; Switch II to 15 systems."

I have tried parental controls by openDNS on my router. The things are getting blocked in general and that's fine.

Now the issue is ,

I want to have only certain devices access the internet without any parental controls ( or lesser level of restrictions like having access to social media sites) like devices of higher management ( and myself included :P), and all other systems have internet with no major access to social media viz facebook and whatsapp ( ie they should have highly secure parental controls.)

So what are your suggestions.

Or am I expecting too much out of my Router.

Edited by Hareen, 01 July 2017 - 06:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:57 PM

Not sure if any of your router's are compatible with PfSense, but you could use that.   I would say that some type of UTM (Unified Threat Management)appliance is what you are looking for.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users