Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Work Laptop!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 teejay7

teejay7

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

OK, so there I was at work, I decided to pop up I.E. and get some ideas of tattoos. I was on a site and all of a sudden the laptop froze and IE was Not Responding. CTRL ALT DEL and got rid of IE finally. Then Outlook wasnt responding. CTRL ALT DEL to shut down this time. It went to synchronize b/c of the network at work, it said pending for a long time so I just held the power button in to shut it down. Upon Start Up, it shows the Windows XP screen with the blue bar going back and forth, then to the Gateway Screen, then the black screen that says push F11 for start up...goes to a black screen that says:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known good Config. to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrrupted due to a power failure or b/c the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused teh problem, choose Start Windows Normally."

Then it lists "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode w/ Networking", "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", "Last Known Good Config.", and "Start Windows Normally".

Safe Mode, S.M. w/ networking and S.M. with C.P. all do the same thing, which scrolls down through a list of locations, like "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system32\Drivers.....

Last known and Start normally go to the Windows Screen then Gateway, and right back to the black screen with all of that junk above.

HELP!!! This is my work computer, I really don't want to involve the network guy incase I did something bad and don't want to get in trouble!!! Any help is appreciated, thanks so much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

Bummer, sounds like an all out crash/worm. Whenever you go to safemode, and it goes through all these locations, does it freeze at any point?

#3 teejay7

teejay7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

It pauses for a few seconds at the end, after it lists like 50 locations, then sometimes flashes some sort of blue screen with typing on it for about half a second, cant even tell what it is....then it goes back to the other screen where it prompts you for safe mode...etc.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

hm, would you happen to have an operating disk? Or something you can use to get you into dos?

#5 teejay7

teejay7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:49 PM

I have an XP disc...

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

Might be worth a try.

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 teejay7

teejay7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

Buddy-nothing, just lists those locations again...

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:10 PM

Make sure in cmos your telling the computer to boot to the cdrom before it boots to the ide. Whenever the computer is starting up, it will tell you how to go into cmos, but be quick.

#9 teejay7

teejay7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

OK, well I tried to run the XP cd like you guys suggested, I try to install it b/c thats pretty much all it'll let me do. It says I need to put the CD in the drive, I put it in and the computer says it cant read it. sooo, I'm going to go ahead and assume that this isn't my fault and theres nothing I can get fired for...

#10 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

well... yea that's a safe assumption, but... that computer is very toast.

#11 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:49 PM

Turn your computer on; put your XP install disk in the CD drive; when asked, press a key to start from CD (if you see the same screen with options, either you missed the message or the computer is not configured to boot from CD); once it has booted from CD, you'll see listed only two options: press "R" to start recovery console or press "Enter" to install Windows. Press "R" to start the recovery console.

When the console is loaded (you'll see a black screen with white text, DOS-like), type "FIXBOOT", press "ENTER" and then "Y". When it's finished, there must be a message stating that a new boot sector has been written. Next, type "FIXMBR", press "ENTER" and then "Y"; now the message must be that a new master boot record has been written.

Finally, type "CHKDSK /R" and press "ENTER", the process may take a while, depending on the disk's size and if it finds errors or not.

When CKHDSK is done, type "EXIT" and press "ENTER", the computer will restart, eject the CD, and you should be able to boot normally by choosing the "Last Known Good Config." option at boot.

Good luck.

#12 teejay7

teejay7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:19 PM

well I tried the last idea....nothing

#13 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:57 PM

hi teejay7,

have you ever had probs with random restarts /intermitant freezing before? might be worth doing a check on the ram if so

good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users