Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get internet to a job site w/o utilities?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 phatrabbitzz

phatrabbitzz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

I have a Provision DVR that connects to internet via ethernet. The DVR is located at a job site that has no utilities only a generator for power that turns off during the end of the workday. What's the easiest way to get internet to the DVR so I can view it remotely? I'm not on site everyday so I need something that works automatically and doesn't need manual input to work once power at generator is turned on. Also would like the cheapest option with the least equipment to discourage theft. I can get a SIM card with unlimited LTE internet.

I tried huawei E960 but Ethernet was very poor. I would get 35Mbps upload when sim was in LG G5 phone but less than 1mbps when sim was in device.
I later tried huawei B683 it was better but only marginal. I get 2mbps upload when sim on device but 35Mbps upload when sim in LG G5 phone.

Keep in mind that both routers are 3g where phone is 4g so the difference in speed is understandable.

Anyone have a better device in mind or even a different solution?

I was thinking of using a cell phone and USB tethering but I would need to get an adapter to Ethernet and I'm not sure if once that ethernet is plugged to dvr if it will charge phone. Because if it doesn't and generator is off on the weekend the phone might die then when it starts might not automatically USB tether without manual input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:30 PM

We did a Verizon wifi modem at one site in a pc and Verizon cellular service at another job site for cameras.

Not having 24x7 power is a problem though

#3 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

I would set it up with a dynamic DNS connection to the outside world.  It would be pretty easy to access from there.  You may have to forward ports over or better yes just drop the device into the DMZ.

#4 phatrabbitzz

phatrabbitzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

The job site is overseas cell phone carriers don't have a wifi modem I can purchase. Which is why I purchased the sim and am trying to figure out best way to get 4g/lte from sim to dvr that needs ethernet.

#5 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

Hello

The Huawei B315 has 4G and I hear good things about it from others

Hth!

tfn

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:05 PM

yep a 4g/cellular interface router is a good suggestion but again having power cut out is a problem.  Hopefully dvr/router communication can be restored automatically upon boot up.

#7 phatrabbitzz

phatrabbitzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:07 AM

I'm in a bit of a crunch for time, ordered the Huawei B315s-22 from Amazon. Hope it is the right one as I now realized there are also 936 and 607 models, though seems like they would all do Band 3 which is what I need.

Hopefully there is an easy way to setup APN settings in the router becuase with the sim I have even when you put it in a cell phone you must first define the APN in Mobile Networks to get internet to work.

#8 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:02 AM

A small ups might be enough to power the dvr and the 4g modem for the remainder of the day

tfn

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:10 AM

Most residential/soho UPS's only have 20-30minutes run time.  If they were to run until the batteries quit, it would kill the batteries.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

Wand3r3r, while a UPS may only have 30 minutes run time for a computer, you might be able to through the weekend on a light power item like a cell phone or modem.  If a UPS alone doesn't do it, you could put an external battery pack in line and then after the UPS fails the battery pack would take over.

#11 phatrabbitzz

phatrabbitzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

Why are we worried about having a UPS?

The cameras won't have power anyways, just let the dvr and router shut off upon generator cutoff and it'll automatically start upon startup. That's how it is working currently although the connection is crappy with the current 3g router.

#12 phatrabbitzz

phatrabbitzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:26 AM

I would set it up with a dynamic DNS connection to the outside world.  It would be pretty easy to access from there.  You may have to forward ports over or better yes just drop the device into the DMZ.

I realize this user was banned but he brought up a good point. Now with the B315s-22 up and running I can either setup DDNS on the router or on the DVR (both have DDNS options). What would be the advantage of setting up DDNS on one or the other? Nothing else is connected to the router but the DVR.

Btw I'm getting upload of 30MBps and download of 6MBps with new router, so thanks for the router suggestion!

Edited by phatrabbitzz, 19 July 2017 - 01:28 AM.

#13 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:56 AM

The advantage is if you have a dynamic external ip address from you isp. DDNS will assign you a hostname that will bind with your dynamic ip address from your isp. Example lets say that your external ip address is 73.217.203.100 and you have signed up with noip.com. They have given you an active host name phatrabbitzz.ddns.net that is now bound to the ip address of 73.217.203.100.

Now you want to access your dvr remotely all that is required is for you to open a web browser and type http://phatrabbitzz.ddns.net instead of http://73.217.203.100. Now it has been 1 week and your external ip address has changed it is now 73.217.150.254. But because you have an active host with noip.com phatrabbitzz.ddns.net. That host name will now be bound to your new external ip address. So again to access your dvr remotely you would simply type  http://phatrabbitzz.ddns.net depending on what ports you have open to view your dvr.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#14 phatrabbitzz

phatrabbitzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:56 PM

The advantage is if you have a dynamic external ip address from you isp. DDNS will assign you a hostname that will bind with your dynamic ip address from your isp. Example lets say that your external ip address is 73.217.203.100 and you have signed up with noip.com. They have given you an active host name phatrabbitzz.ddns.net that is now bound to the ip address of 73.217.203.100.

Now you want to access your dvr remotely all that is required is for you to open a web browser and type http://phatrabbitzz.ddns.net instead of http://73.217.203.100. Now it has been 1 week and your external ip address has changed it is now 73.217.150.254. But because you have an active host with noip.com phatrabbitzz.ddns.net. That host name will now be bound to your new external ip address. So again to access your dvr remotely you would simply type  http://phatrabbitzz.ddns.net depending on what ports you have open to view your dvr.

I understand what DDNS does and how to set it up.

However, I have the option to set up DDNS on the DVR network configuration page and I also have the option to set up DDNS in the Huawei B315s-22 router configuration page. My question is what would be the advantage of setting up DDNS in one or the other? 

#15 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

If this is a CCTV DVR then it has ddns for easy setup. Simply connect the DVR to your internet connection and configure ddns and you can remotely access your DVR. But this leaves the DVR exposed to the wild wild west of the internet if it is not behind a firewall of some kind. In my experience with CCTV DVRs if thats what you have. You definitely want it behind your Huawei B315s-22 Router. 

Configure the router's DDNS feature, forward the proper port to your DVR, assign a Static IP Address to your DVR and you are golden.

Edited by arlattimor, 24 July 2017 - 11:42 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users