Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total amount of legislation in America

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

Hey, if you printed out all still active laws in the USA, starting from the Constitution till this day, on both sides of standard A4 papers, how many pages would the total 'Terms & Conditions' of the United States turn out to be?

I'm just curious, that's all. I've heard that the current tax code law in the USA is the longest in terms of sheer size law that has ever been put in practice by any government, so I'm just curious, if one were to print all the laws the USA currently has, how big a book it would become.:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

That is really not an answerable question.   Laws exist at the federal, state, and multiple local (county, city, town, borough, etc.) levels and it is well-nigh impossible to know exactly how many of those are still "on the books".

You can be assured it would be a tome on steroids.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, I supposed so. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many different types of lawyers with varying specialties. I honestly don't really get how do hardcore politicians work when it comes to proposed laws and such - they oftentimes pass laws in a matter of days to a week, which if I were a politician probably wouldn't be enough to simply read the law (for example Obamacare, isn't that thing thousands of pages long), let alone think it through. If one were to be truly invested in his work as a politician, it'd probably be among the hardest jobs ever. I haven't really seen how Congress works, but it always seems weird to me how fast some laws are being passed when I've watched the Parliament in my country. Do these people even read whatever they are voting for? A friend of mine takes a more realistic approach and told me that politicians usually debate only the cornerstones of the proposed laws and don't mind the details all that much; they trust, so to say, the person from their party/group who developed the law that it checks out, so they don't need to go through all the fine print. I think, though, that doing so, and especially in big countries as the USA, creates probably thousands of contradicting one another laws.

Anyways, thanks for your answer, Brian! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 30 June 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

For Federal laws (not state laws) have a look at the US Statutes at Large, which is a book (of over 100 volumes) containing each and every act of Congress in the order they were passed.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

For Federal laws (not state laws) have a look at the US Statutes at Large, which is a book (of over 100 volumes) containing each and every act of Congress in the order they were passed.

Nice! So at a Federal level there are around a quarter-million .pdf pages. Interesting, thank you.:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users