Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCs which support UEFI

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RocknRollTim

RocknRollTim

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone can tell me whether there are any other PCs out there that support my configuration in forum thread Multi-boot UEFI apart from my Dell Vostro 470 as I'm really wanting to achieve it. Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

No 32bit OS can boot from a GPT partitioned disk. Only 64bit and even XP 64bit cannot boot from a GPT disk.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx

Edit: Keep it simple and consider running each of your other OS's in a Virtual Machine if at all possible.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2017 - 06:06 PM.

#3 RocknRollTim

RocknRollTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:56 AM

Hi JohnC_21,

Thank you for responding to my forum thread and for posting the link in your post, very helpful indeed. I have considered the thought of virtualising OSs but I like having the option to multiboot as well. I gather if I was to go down the multiboot option, I would have to ensure OSs below 64-bit use MBR volumes and 64-bit OSs use GPT volumes. I forget that Windows XP x64 doesn't run on a GPT volume as I originally assumed it would work on a GPT volume like other 64-bit Windows OSs. I know the original version of Windows Vista x64 doesn't work with a GPT volume as I have tested this myself but strangely SP1 does work with a GPT volume but not SP2 though? Any how looks like a PC from 2007 which supports UEFI is needed to support all x64 OSs from Vista to 10 or like you say simply virtualise. I only like multibooting to test compatibility of things such as programs, games and especially drivers as I know drivers can't be tested using virtualisation. Thank you for your help.

Regards,

RocknRollTim       

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:56 AM

Just to be clear, there are no GPT volumes and MBR volumes, only GPT and MBR disks if that is what you meant by volumes. To me, volumes means partitions.

Also if you use a MBR disk on a UEFI computer it can only boot if you change the UEFI setting to Legacy or CSM boot.

I can't answer the question on the Vista problem. From the FAQ it does say that Vista 64bit will boot on a GPT/UEFI disk. That would tell me something else is in play.

Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

You are correct, you can only boot a GPT disk on a UEFI computer. There a workarounds but it's not worth it. 

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html

#5 RocknRollTim

RocknRollTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:40 AM

Hi JohnC_21,

Thanks for posting back and for clearing up a few things.

With regards to MBR and GPT, I did mean disks and not volumes.

With regards to using an MBR disk on the PC, I do have the options for Legacy and CSM, the only reason why I have configured the PC to use CSM as opposed to Legacy is because I have a 4TB SSHD installed as the primary disk and if configured to Legacy 1.5TB would be wasted. I could install another hard disk in the PC as the primary drive that is less than 2.5TB and use the 4TB SSHD as a data drive if that's possible. If this is possible, would I be better getting an ordinary HD or an SSD as my primary drive? My current HD is a hybrid.

The only way I can think of getting the original version of Vista to work as well as the SP2 build is by using the MBR option just like the 32-bit and other lower bit versions of Windows including Windows XP x64.

With regards to your last paragraph, I gather its trial and error and should be performed at own risk.

Regards,

RocknRollTim    

Edited by RocknRollTim, 02 July 2017 - 05:48 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:59 AM

It's my understanding that Legacy/CSM boot it the same. It's only a label difference.

https://superuser.com/questions/857117/what-is-csm-option

https://neosmart.net/wiki/enable-legacy-boot-mode/

Personally, I would avoid trying to boot a GPT disk on a legacy BIOS system sometimes called BIOS-GPT as mentioned in Wikipedia.

In regards to a HDD or SSD that would have to depend on if you want a faster boot. I think you are fine with a hybrid drive. 

#7 RocknRollTim

RocknRollTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

I feel that after reading the information in your posts, I feel that I should ignore installing Vista altogether as well as installing other 32-bit and 16-bit OSs on the PC and just install 64-bit OSs from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in order. Perhaps the support of UEFI in Windows Vista SP1 x64 was a mistake made by Microsoft and was later removed in Windows Vista SP2 x64 due to compatibility issues with hardware supporting UEFI at that time hence why UEFI support was implemented in the original version of Windows 7 x64 instead, this may explain why UEFI was not supported in the original version of Vista x64 as well as in the SP2 version of Vista x64. Also Microsoft may have been a little too eager implementing UEFI support into Windows Vista SP1 x64 at that time. Lastly I would like to apologise for the delay in getting back to you and would like to say thank you for all your help regarding my forum topic.

Regards,

RocknRollTim

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:53 PM

No problem, glad to have helped. Good luck on your endeavor.

#9 RocknRollTim

RocknRollTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

Thank you JohnC_21, all I need to do now is to install all OSs in the right order otherwise they won't install correctly particularly Windows 7. :S Do you know of any ways without having to format the drive and start all over again in order to get Windows 7 to install correctly?

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

You can install what OS you desire and hopefully one of the OSs will boot. In that OS install EasyBCD, free for home use, and edit the BCD to include the other OS's. That's about the only idea I have, sorry.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

#11 RocknRollTim

RocknRollTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:50 AM

Hi JohnC_21,

I tried both your suggestion as well as BCDEdit to overcome the situation of Windows 7 which unfortunately I had to start over again as Windows 7 kept refusing to install, however Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 can be installed as well as reinstalled in any order unlike previous versions of Windows prior to Windows 8 which have to be installed in logical order. Again I would like to say thank you for your help once again and hope this forum thread helps out with anyone else experiencing a similar situation.

Regards,

RocknRollTim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users