Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ferre2t4

Ferre2t4

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

I right click a picture file, select properties, uninstall properties and personal information, create a copy with all possible properties removed, OK

I face "The action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate" this only started happening after installing Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 10586.3 and now .11 With build 10240 I never had that message pop up. I can't find a solution and this happens on two separate systems with different editions of Windows 10. I tried running system file checker but it didn't help.

Does anyone know if this is something I can fix or is it a Windows 10 bug?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

I right click a picture file, select properties, uninstall properties and personal information, create a copy with all possible properties removed, OK
I face "The action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate" this only started happening after installing Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 10586.3 and now .11 With build 10240 I never had that message pop up. I can't find a solution and this happens on two separate systems with different editions of Windows 10. I tried running system file checker but it didn't help.
Does anyone know if this is something I can fix or is it a Windows 10 bug?

This is a direct quote from this topic from Norton Community website  posted on 11/22/2015.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

Ignoring that this appears to be a direct lift, anyone who's on the 10K series builds should have long ago forced an update to the later builds, as 10586 is all the way back in Version 1511.   Version 1607 is the earliest version that virtually anyone, with the very rarest of exceptions that probably don't apply to anyone posting here, should be on.

The roll-out of Version 1703 is now far enough along that I don't think it's premature to use either the Windows Update Assistant at the Windows 10 Update Page or to use the Media Creation Tool to download the ISO, burn bootable media, then follow these instructions to get to Version 1703.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 daikin

daikin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

You need to give Full Control to affected file.
1. Locate the folder containing affected file then right-click on it and select Properties.
2. Select your account under Group or user names. Because you face this error, you will see that you don’t have Full control for the folder.
3. Select your account then check Allow against Full control.
4. Click Apply then click OK to save changes.

Edited by daikin, 30 June 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

It's not a permissions problem, it's a file lock problem.

This was reported frequently in Build 1511.

Extracting thumbnails is one item that has been implicated in this error.

I would recommend following @britechguy's advice in post #3.

Edited by jwoods301, 30 June 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#6 Ferre2t4

Ferre2t4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

Thanks everyone! I look for the best way, I just open task manager, click on details, find dllhost.exe and then end the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users