Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont boot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Moonze

Moonze

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

My daughters laptop wont bootup. It gets to the windows logo, then a purple background pops up and it shows a LogonUI.exe error. The message shows to

Click OK to cancel the application, but doing that does nothing. I have booted up to the built in diagnostics, and have tried everything it has, from

Trying to have it fix itself during the bootup, to reinstall windows to factory settings, nothing works. When trying to to repair it, it always says there

was a problem, nothing has been changed. The laptop is an Asus Q304UA. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

You might consider doing a "refesh" with the Keep my files option -

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

#3 Moonze

Moonze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

I have tried that, but says there is an error and nothing is done. I have tried refreshing with remove my files, same thing. 

It goes to 1% for hours,then says there was a problem and no changes were made. I cant try option 2, as i cant log in. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

The only thing I can propose at this point is to follow the instructions on this page for upgrading, but they apply to reinstalling from scratch or, if you're lucky, upgrading if the machine was not yet on Version 1703.

In any case, if there is anything of value on the machine you should pop out the hard drive and connect it as an external device on another machine then copy off the data you want to save in case you have to reinstall Windows 10 entirely.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

You'll need to create installation media and boot from that...most likely from another computer, since yours is out of order.

Follow these instructions...

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5162/windows-10-tip-create-windows-10-setup-media-the-right-way

#6 Moonze

Moonze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Thanks. There is nothing on the drive that cant be reinstalled. I dont mind losing whatever is on there, i just would like for it to work again. 

I will give this a try tomorrow, as im tired from work and dont want to mess anything up during this process. I will keep you informed on 

whats going on. 

#7 Moonze

Moonze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

I made the USB bootable drive. How do i get it to boot to the USB? 

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

Usually there is a function key to press when booting that will bring up a boot menu where you can select what you want to boot from (hard drive, USB, DVD, etc.)

Should be in your computer's manual.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/Q304UA/HelpDesk_Manual/

Edited by jwoods301, 06 July 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#9 Moonze

Moonze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for that link. On page 61 and 62 it talks about the BIOS and how to change the Boot options. 

Mine only shows Boot option 1, It doesnt have the link to Add a new option. I disabled option one and had the USB plugged in Saved and 

Exit. It booted right back to the BIOS. Under option one, it shows to boot to the HDD, not to Windows boot manager.

Clicking that only gives the option to enable or disable.  

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

You want to have Windows Boot Manager selected.

Then, when you boot, you repeatedly press the correct function key to bring up the boot manager, so you can select the USB drive.

I would try F2.

Edited by jwoods301, 06 July 2017 - 04:11 PM.

#11 Moonze

Moonze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

It doesnt show me an Option for Windows Boot Manager. Doesnt allow me to add a new boot device.

Even if i delete the original, it will only go back to the BIOS. Same thing if i just disable it. 

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

It doesnt show me an Option for Windows Boot Manager. Doesnt allow me to add a new boot device.

Even if i delete the original, it will only go back to the BIOS. Same thing if i just disable it. 

Use the up/down arrows to select the options.

#13 Moonze

Moonze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:33 PM

Use the up/down arrows to select the options.

Cant select what is NOT there. I am familiar with how the BIOS works. I used to repair and build PC's in the 90's

I know to highlight and click enter to select it, and a drop menu should pop open and give you options to select. 

Well, mine only shows the listed HDD, nothing else. The manual shows that there is an option to Add New Boot Option,

Mine doesnt have that. The manual shows Windows Boot Manage is selected, Mine shows the listed HDD. 

When i select it, there is either enable or disable. No Windows manager. 

#14 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

I would suggest calling ASUS support.

#15 Moonze

Moonze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for all your help, i guess thats my only option now. I really appreciate everything. Can you close this thread?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users