Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer recovery error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:54 AM

(I'm not sure if this is the correct forum as this is a restore issue rather than a backup issue.)

I tried to do a re-install using the recovery disks for an Acer 5315.  There are 2 DVD's.  After about half of Disk 1, this error occurs: 

"Restore failed-reason:  0xd00000le"

What could I do about that?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

On some Toshiba's you can access the Recovery Partition by holding the Alt key at boot while tapping F10. Your DVD disk may be unreadable. What OS does this computer have, Vista?

Edit: I assume you have backed up all your personal data and any license files for purchased programs.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2017 - 08:27 AM.

#3 RosyBear

RosyBear

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

If your PC came with Vista and you downgraded back to Xp (like mine), I think you should have used only the second disc. At least my Acer Recovery Kit's accompanying note says that Disc n.1 is to be used in case of downgrade. If you want to simply reinstall Xp I think only Disc n. 2 is needed (but you can also run it from its installer- you can usually find it in some folder in C:\).

#4 RosyBear

RosyBear

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

Here's what my Recovery Kit Note says. I hope this would help.

"The Recovery DVD Kit will help you to downgrade the computer from Microsoft Vista to Microsoft Windows Xp Professional. Follow the steps below to rebuild your hard drive. Your Vista partition in your hard drive will be formatted and all data will be erased".

So I suppose it would be pretty useless using Disc 1 if your OS is Xp. Maybe, but I'm not sure as my system was downgraded, it could work only if you continued to use Vista.

#5 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

Thank-you, for your responses.

This machine has Vista and no XP.  I just made the recovery DVD's and I am testing them to make sure they work on a spare drive before I use them on my working drive.  What would make the DVD unreadable?

Thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,524 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:32 AM

It could be the optical drive itself or the DVD had a bad burn. Does the hard drive have a recovery partition. It would be labeled as such in Disk Management.

#7 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

The optical drive is new.

I do not see a recovery partition in Disk Management.

Should I try burning it again?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

If the computer allows you to burn an extra set of DVDs then go ahead and try. Usually an OEM will only allow you to do this once.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

Does the program allow a burning of this set onto two USB flash drives?  From experience, I have found having both usb and dvd sets sure came in handy when during a restore attempt, one of the two failed.  In the past, I also have burned two DVD sets, just in case one of the two fails.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#10 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

That is why I give my DVD sets a practice run right away on a spare drive to make sure that they work before depending on them.

Yes, it let me try again and I tested them and they work.

If it matters, the brand of the failed set is Maxell.  The brand of the working set is Phillips.

Thanks.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

Maxwell is normally very good!  I have had USB and DVD boot failure -- sometimes not because of the usb or dvd device itself, rather, for some reason, it was another cause -- either the laptop's BIOS or whatever else can be hit by Milo Murphy's Laws.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users