Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Play Audio Files On Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:16 PM

Is it possible to play audio files: DVDs, Windows Media Player files, quicktime files etc. on my computer but listen to them on my stereo system? If so, how? Including going around the wall and corner there is a distance of about perhaps 6 feet from the computer connections to the stereo connections. I just don't have room for good speakers for my computer and I'd for like my dad and I to be able to listen to things at the same time. Sharing a single pair of headphones is awkward to say the least.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400
Windows XP Home SP2
Integrated ADl 1885 Audio

I have a Magnavox stereo system (receiver?) that has ways of adding auxilliary components.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

Integrated cards usually lack the ability to do a lot... however there are sound cards out there, where you can set something up like that. I found a great one at comp usa, gives a nice boom. And you would just connect the wires to and fro, I don't know if a wireless conection is possible... but I would be the last to say never. Though for now, i'd say your best bet is either audigy, or probably not going to happen...

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,958 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

What kinds of wires would I use to connect the computer to the stereo system, and where do I plug them in on the computer - other than the obvious "in the back." Do the connecting wires come in a great enough length for my needs?

I'm not concerned at this point about a "nice boom" as long as I can hear the audio files on the stereo speakers.

What is "audigy"?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:28 AM

I think it is easiest just to give the link. The page comes with pictures and all. Connecting Your PC to Your Stereo.

Audigy is a one of Creatives sound-card models, like GeForce is for graphic-cards.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,958 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

Thank you for the information source. :thumbsup: Studying it and my computer manual I now know how to hook up my stereo to my computer :flowers: . Now I just have to get the cables etc.

I do have a line-out connector on the back of the computer in addition to the headphone connector on the front, so there should be no problems - other than having to completely unplug the computer so I can get to the back of it - sigh. The sound may not be the greatest, but external sound cards can always be added at a later time.

Orange Blossom :trumpet:

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users