Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get Wireless Adapter to work

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#121 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:23 AM

No, use Disk Backup to create an image to a USB external hard drive. Remember to create the bootable media but on an XP computer this requires a large download. If you have a Windows 7 computer than create the bootable media on the Windows 7 computer as the download is smaller.

http://www.backup-utility.com/articles/create-disk-image-1128.html

If you do decide to create the bootable disk on the XP computer you can burn the iso with isoburner and install on the XP computer instead of mounting it with Magic Iso to install.

http://www.backup-utility.com/help/aik.html

So to start with the first thing I need to do is create the image using Disk Backup.

When I do this does that mean that everything I have on my external hardrive will be wiped out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#122 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

No, it will create a disk image and the file will be copied to the external but you need to have enough free space on the external drive to accept the image file. Disk Backup will create a folder on the external with the backup image file.

#123 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

No, it will create a disk image and the file will be copied to the external but you need to have enough free space on the external drive to accept the image file. Disk Backup will create a folder on the external with the backup image file.

Yes I have created the disk image file on my external hardrive successfully what is the next step?

#124 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

Verify the image. If it verifies as valid then keep the image and after installing any new programs or updates create a new image. It can be incremental or differential or another full backup.

Did you create a bootable disk of Aomei backupper? This is needed if your hard drive fails and you need to recover the image.

Other than the above your good to go.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 September 2017 - 09:02 AM.

#125 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

Verify the image. If it verifies as valid then keep the image and after installing any new programs or updates create a new image. It can be incremental or differential or another full backup.

Did you create a bootable disk of Aomei backupper? This is needed if your hard drive fails and you need to recover the image.

Other than the above your good to go.

Yes I have verified the disk image and it says it is good.

No I did not create a bootable disk of Aomei Backupper.

The computer that I am typing on now has the option of XP or Windows 7 when it is first started up but my computer is just Windows XP.

#126 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

I am not sure why that happened. This happened after installing Aomei Backupper? 

#127 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:50 AM

I am not sure why that happened. This happened after installing Aomei Backupper? 

No my computer is Windows XP and my mums computer has 2 hardrives in it and when I start Mums computer up you have to decide if you want XP or Windows 7.

I need to create bootable media I will have to study the tutorial.

Edited by TonyTucker, 12 September 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#128 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

If you are dealing with only your computer then create the bootable media on your XP computer. You will need to download the AIK as I posted. Install the AIK and then create the bootable media.

https://www.backup-utility.com/help/aik.html

If your mother's computer is dual boot with XP and Windows 7 you would select Windows 7, then install Aomei Backupper. In Windows 7 create the bootable media. There is no need to download the AIK in Windows 7.

#129 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:40 AM

If you are dealing with only your computer then create the bootable media on your XP computer. You will need to download the AIK as I posted. Install the AIK and then create the bootable media.

https://www.backup-utility.com/help/aik.html

If your mother's computer is dual boot with XP and Windows 7 you would select Windows 7, then install Aomei Backupper. In Windows 7 create the bootable media. There is no need to download the AIK in Windows 7.

It says "Right click on Windows AIK ISO file->select MagicISO->Mount->the ISO file path"

When I do this instead of getting the ISO file path I am prompted to install  Magicdisk Virtual cd/dvd manager.

#130 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

You don't need to mount with Magic Iso. You can burn the AIK iso to a CD using isoburner in XP and then double click the exe file.

Don't use Magic Iso. Use WinCDEmu. Install. Then right click and click Select Drive Letter and Mount.

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

Edit: Uninstall Magic Iso then install WinCDEmu.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 September 2017 - 08:25 AM.

#131 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

You don't need to mount with Magic Iso. You can burn the AIK iso to a CD using isoburner in XP and then double click the exe file.

Don't use Magic Iso. Use WinCDEmu. Install. Then right click and click Select Drive Letter and Mount.

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

Edit: Uninstall Magic Iso then install WinCDEmu.

The AIK iso is 1.7 GB and a cd is only 700 MB, does this mean that I need to burn it to a DVD disk?

#132 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

Yes, or mount the iso with WinCDEmu.

#133 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

Yes, or mount the iso with WinCDEmu.

I have used WinCDEmu to mount the AIK iso and have successfully installed it on my computer.

I am still not sure about the next step though about creating the bootable media cd/dvd.

#134 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:35 AM

If you successfully installed the AIK on the XP computer then you should be able to create the bootable CD or USB flash drive per Aomei's wizard.

You want to use Windows PE Legacy Boot Mode.

https://www.backup-utility.com/features/create-bootable-disc.html

#135 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

If you successfully installed the AIK on the XP computer then you should be able to create the bootable CD or USB flash drive per Aomei's wizard.

You want to use Windows PE Legacy Boot Mode.

https://www.backup-utility.com/features/create-bootable-disc.html

Yes after all this time I have finally created the bootable media disk and have tested it and it works so this is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users