Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get Wireless Adapter to work

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#31 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:37 PM

I would steer clear of any third-party driver download sites.

Look for drivers from your computer manufacturer, the device vendor, or Microsoft.

I think at this point, I would suggest downloading and running the portable version of Windows Repair (All In One) by Tweaking.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair_portable.html

Failing that, you may need to either try a non-destructive, no-reformat install, which refreshes Windows XP and allows you to keep all your personal files and programs, or backup your personal data to an external resource and do a clean install of XP.

Edited by jwoods301, 04 July 2017 - 07:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:33 PM

Why dont you just run the SETUP program on the cd with the device and see what happens?

I still contend that the drivers are not working correctly even though device manager sees the device correctly

The CD that came with the device surely has an auto start or SETUP on it

Try the simplest solution first.

If that fails, look at the USB dongle. There should be a model on it somewhere. Post that #

In the beginning there was the command line.

#33 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

I think the OP is pretty much wrapped around the axle on this issue (which is not his fault)...

That's why I suggested Windows Repair.

#34 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:17 AM

That is not enough information. Each model could have a different chipset. 

Detach the USB and uninstall the device in Device Manager. It is not the 1394 adapter. Reboot and attach the USB dongle. Open Device Manager. There should be a yellow exclamation mark next to your Wifi adapter. Right click, select Properties and under the the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the complete first line.

Is there a yellow exclamation mark under Network Adapters?

If you do not know which model number of the Edup you have it should be on the package it came in if you still have it otherwise go to Edup's website and look for your model or attach a photo of the USB dongle to your next post. Do  you have a website link if puchased online?

I detatched the adapter and went to device manager but it is not there now but I can still see it in Add or Remove programs.

Should I try reinstalling it again?

I will put the adapter back in and see if it shows up in device manager.

#35 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

Have you tried the suggestion in post # 31?

I suspect there is more than one thing going on.

#36 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

I have just pluged the adapter back in and now it is showing in device manager as being installed so should I uninstall it now with it pluged in and then reboot?

#37 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:24 AM

No I haven't yet but I have just reinstalled XP and I reformated the hard drive about 2 weeks ago.

#38 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

No I haven't yet but I have just reinstalled XP and I reformated the hard drive about 2 weeks ago.

Something obviously went wrong.

Did you install all Windows Updates that were available for XP?

You not only have to have a wireless adapter configured, but you also have to join the wireless network.

From Netgear -

Windows XP Joining a Wireless Network

If you want to use Windows XP to manage your wireless connections, the “Use Windows to configure my wireless settings” check box must be selected on the Wireless Networks tab as explained in the above. To join a hidden network, see “Windows XP Joining a Hidden Wireless Network" below.

To join a wireless network using Windows XP:

1. Go to Wireless Network Connection Properties.
    Control Panel > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection > Right-click
    > View Available Wireless Networks
  2. Select a wireless network and click Connect.
  3. If the network uses wireless security you are prompted to enter the wireless security
    settings. If you do not want to connect to a secure network you can cancel.

Windows XP Joining a Hidden Wireless Network

Windows XP does not display hidden networks. To join a hidden network you must know that it is available, and you must know the network name (SSID) of the hidden network.

To join a hidden SSID wireless network:

Control Panel > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection > right-click
    > Properties
  2. On the Wireless Networks tab select the network and click Add. The Wireless network properties window opens.
  3. On the Association tab type the Network name (SSID) and then click OK.
  4. In the Wireless Network (Connection) Window click Connect.
  5. If the network uses wireless security you are prompted to enter the wireless security settings. If you do not want to connect to a secure network you can cancel.

Edited by jwoods301, 05 July 2017 - 02:45 AM.

#39 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:57 AM

Something obviously went wrong.

Did you install all Windows Updates that were available for XP?

You not only have to have a wireless adapter configured, but you also have to join the wireless network.

From Netgear -

Windows XP Joining a Wireless Network

If you want to use Windows XP to manage your wireless connections, the “Use Windows to configure my wireless settings” check box must be selected on the Wireless Networks tab as explained in the above. To join a hidden network, see “Windows XP Joining a Hidden Wireless Network" below.

To join a wireless network using Windows XP:

Control Panel > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection > Right-click
    > View Available Wireless Networks
  2. Select a wireless network and click Connect.
  3. If the network uses wireless security you are prompted to enter the wireless security
    settings. If you do not want to connect to a secure network you can cancel.

Windows XP Joining a Hidden Wireless Network

Windows XP does not display hidden networks. To join a hidden network you must know that it is available, and you must know the network name (SSID) of the hidden network.

To join a hidden SSID wireless network:

Control Panel > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection > right-click
    > Properties
  2. On the Wireless Networks tab select the network and click Add. The Wireless network properties window opens.
  3. On the Association tab type the Network name (SSID) and then click OK.
  4. In the Wireless Network (Connection) Window click Connect.
  5. If the network uses wireless security you are prompted to enter the wireless security settings. If you do not want to connect to a secure network you can cancel.

I downloaded Service Pack3 on this computer and installed it on my computer.

I will do what you have said.

#40 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:09 AM

So just to be clear, get your XP system's Windows Updates done (which could take a while, will involve reboots, and will need to be run over and over until no more updates are found).

Then, work on your wireless setup.

If all that fails, the options are starting to come down to running Windows Repair (All In One) , a non-destructive no-reformat reinstall of Windows which allows you to keep your personal data and programs (does not work for OEM licenses), or a clean (from scratch) install.

Edited by jwoods301, 05 July 2017 - 03:12 AM.

#41 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:36 AM

So just to be clear, get your XP system's Windows Updates done (which could take a while, will involve reboots, and will need to be run over and over until no more updates are found).

If all that fails, the options are starting to come down to running Windows Repair (All In One) , a non-destructive no-reformat reinstall of Windows which allows you to keep your personal data and programs (does not work for OEM licenses), or a clean (from scratch) install.

I have service pack 3 installed I didn't think there were anymore updates needed after that.

I can't run Windows XP updater because I can't connect to the internet with that computer.

#42 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:47 AM

I went Control Panel > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connections Wizard and when I right click it it does not have a properties just Open and Create Shortcut.

#43 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:48 AM

I have service pack 3 installed I didn't think there were anymore updates needed after that.

I can't run Windows XP updater because I can't connect to the internet with that computer.

Are you unable to connect to the router with an ethernet cable?

You can pre-download all of the updates using the freeware tool WSUS Offline Update...

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

You will need to find the last version that supported Windows XP in the archives.

BC member @Saw101 identified that as V. 9.1 [4 Apr 2014]

Get someone to download it for you and put it on a CD, DVD, or a USB drive.

Good tutorial video on how to use it...

https://youtu.be/aXAOvbNJYyE

Edited by jwoods301, 05 July 2017 - 03:58 AM.

#44 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:30 AM

I have just pluged the adapter back in and now it is showing in device manager as being installed so should I uninstall it now with it pluged in and then reboot?

did you even read my post #23 ?

go into device manager with it plugged it,

uninstall it in device manager,

unplug the adapter,

reboot,

RUN THE SETUP EXE PROGRAM ON THE CD

follow the instructions

DO NOT PLUG THE ADAPTER IN UNTIL THE PROGRAM TELLS YOU TO!

#45 TonyTucker

TonyTucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:41 AM

did you even read my post #23 ?

go into device manager with it plugged it,

uninstall it in device manager,

unplug the adapter,

reboot,

RUN THE SETUP EXE PROGRAM ON THE CD

follow the instructions

DO NOT PLUG THE ADAPTER IN UNTIL THE PROGRAM TELLS YOU TO!

You said "unplug the usb adapter,

reboot,

go into device manager and remove/uninstall any wireless adapters/network adapters/usb wireless adapters, and click the box that says "remove driver"

So yes I did read what you said in post 23. I will try your new instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users