Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card detected by Windows, but won't output

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 misterala

misterala

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:12 AM

Hello!

Have just built my first PC in absolute years, and it's working - which is a good start - but not with the GeForce 1050ti graphics card that's installed.

It will only display anything through the onboard graphics. At first I thought it might be that the card wasn't seated right or is faulty, but after installing Windows, it automatically detected and lists the GeForce 1050ti in Device Manager. It just won't display anything when I plug in an HDMI lead.

I've changed the BIOS to output via PCI-E and nothing happens. I've flashed the motherboard bios to the latest version. Still nothing.

To be clear this isn't a driver issue – even the bios won't show up when the monitor is plugged in to the graphics card.

The HDMI lead works with a nearby Macbook on the same monitor so it's not that. I'm totally stumped. It has DVI out as well, but I don't have a lead to test it with. Will try and pick on up today.

Here's the full specs, in case it makes any difference:

Zotac NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050Ti 4GB Mini Graphics

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 -

R Intel Pentium G4560 Kaby Lake Desktop Processor

EVGA 430W 80 Plus Power Supply (100-W1-0430-KR)

ASUS B250M - K Intel Kaby Lake MATX Motherboard

WD 250GB Blue 2.5" Solid State Drive/SSD WDS250G1B

Any ideas?

Edited by misterala, 30 June 2017 - 04:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

The PSU looks pretty weak, do you have the power commectors hooked into, that GPU will not draw enough power from the MOBO so it needs help from one of the PSU connectors.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Looking at a review of that card, it doesn't appear to have a PCIe power connector, so all the power it needs (75w max) should be through the PCIe connector.  

It should "just work".  Do you have access to another computer you can test it on?

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

A monitor is supposed to automatically adjust the input. If using HDMI make sure your monitor settings is using HDMI input. You may want to try a DVI cable if your monitor has a DVI input.

#5 misterala

misterala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

So, to answer these points in turn:

1) The manual says it needs a minimum of 300w. As said above, it doesn't require any additional power leads. Though I do have a spare old 600w PSU from my old PC if we think it'll make a difference?

2) As above, I do have an old PC, but it's eight years old. Will that even be happy with a card this new?

3) It doesn't automatically switch, but I've been manually doing it every time. It's definitely HDMI. 100%

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

How did you install Windows if you can't see anything, maybe with the onboard graphics and then switching to the 1050? I'm with John C try a different output if you can (DVI).

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

2) As above, I do have an old PC, but it's eight years old. Will that even be happy with a card this new?

In theory, it'll work, as long as it uses PCI Express (likely, since that came into common use over 8 years ago) and is not a slimline desktop or small form factor system etc.  The PCIe link would operate at version 1.1 or 2.0 depending on the system (instead of PCIe 3.0 which the card is).

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 misterala

misterala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

So... it works. I have no idea why, but wanted to tell you guys to stop thinking about it, and to say thanks.

The steps I took this evening:

1) The card felt a bit loose, so thought I'd move it to the old PC just to test if it felt as poorly held in place. It did, but decided to plug it into the TV while I was downstairs using HDMI and of course it works fine.

2) So now I'm sure it's the seating, but plug it back into the new PC just in case. And it works plugged into the TV.

3) So I try one more time upstairs thinking it's the monitor afterall and... low and behold it works.

I have no idea what's changed. I did remove a sticker from the side of the PCI-E slot which seemed to be pushed off a little, but that's the only difference. And putting the side back on the PC caused the picture to vanish again from the monitor, so it's not 100%, but as long as it's not moved, everything seems fine.

Weird, hey? Anyway, thanks one and all!

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

Hmm, don't like the sound of light touches on side of the case causing the picture to go...  There's normally, on most motherboards, a latch on x16 PCIe slots.  Is it clicked securely into place?  Also it seems an obvious question but worth asking - the bracket is secured to the case with screws is it?

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users