Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I got my brother a gaming pc..HELP!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hubb415

Hubb415

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:33 AM

Hello! I got my brother a "gaming" pc spur the moment at Best Buy trying to be a great older brother and now that he has had for a while he is getting a little frustrated because they have him a potatoe for a graphics card and he can't play his favorite games..now I am not a pc building master but I want to upgrade his graphics card. Here is the PC http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-blue/4593000.p?skuId=4593000

So I want to get him this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5613853.p?skuId=5613853

Will I be able to just throw that right in or will I need to buy a power supply or anything else before installing?
Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hubb415

Hubb415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:36 AM

Also if you recommend something in that price range that is better or more compatible post it here!! Thanks

#3 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:11 AM

Unplug the old graphic card and replace the new one should be sufficient.

Please check if the power supplied by the SMPS will be sufficient for powering the new graphic card; if it doesn't then you need to get a new power supply and the graphic card.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:14 AM

Check what PSU is or preferably take picture from label sticker and post it here. They don't say anything about PSU so that's probably something crap.

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:38 AM

I found this on the first 'review' that was shown;

"The power supply is a little on the low end. Had to contact CyberpowerPC to find out it is a 350. It will suffice for what components are with this build, but make sure to upgrade it with any other upgrades!"

So you should probably upgrade the power supply also. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:15 AM

True, you'll need to upgrade the PSU, preferable the one with the 6-pin power cable as the video card requires it. I always get Seasonic PSUs.

Edited by MrSippi, 01 July 2017 - 04:16 AM.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#7 JoelMiles925

JoelMiles925

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:28 PM

Personally I'd say an upgrade to a 450-550 watt PSU should suffice. The GPU should fit pretty easily really and that's a good GPU for mid-range gaming overall too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users