Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 safe mode is fast but normal mode is insanely slow

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 drathjon

drathjon

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:31 AM

Hi, I am having problems with my windows 10. It is extremely slow now in normal mode, takes a while to boot up(like 5 mins) and programs are very choppy while using it. For example, when I click the windows icon to search something, if I type in "Control panel" it takes a few seconds(like 10-15) for the letters to input and usually take a bit of time(lag).

I have an i5 4590 3.3Ghz

8gb of ram

I think this is a malware problem I have AVG free and scan frequently, but nothing is detected.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:48 AM

I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivirus disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the 7W6b39o.png keys to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

0JgaJnG.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

MKox8LE.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK

wY6gGEv.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

Edited by FreeBooter, 30 June 2017 - 05:35 AM.

Posted Image

#3 drathjon

drathjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

If I do a clean boot, do I need the CD key after it is done? Because I don't have it :(

Edited by drathjon, 30 June 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

You don't need it for doing a clean boot.

#5 drathjon

drathjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

You don't need it for doing a clean boot.

Oh okay, I just did the clean boot. So what do I do now? Do I re-enable anything? Or do I just see if my problems persist?

Edit: Also, my computer is still slow. When I click on the windows icon to type something, it lags like crazy. And to load programs, its still very slow :(

Edited by drathjon, 30 June 2017 - 05:39 PM.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

See if the problem persists.

#7 drathjon

drathjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

See if the problem persists.

Yes the problem persists, my computer is still very choppy. Although start up was quicker(which is nice!), the overall surfing the web and just trying to look it up is extremely choppy.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

Lets deal with slow startup first. You need to find out which startup service or program you have disabled causing the issue. To do that you need to enable few services and startup programs and restart your computer you will do this till issue comes back then you will know one or more last few enabled startup items causing the issue. You will one at time disable last enabled startup items and each time you have disabled a startup item restart your computer to find out if problem resolves if it does then you have found the cause of the problem its the last disabled startup item causing the problem.

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

Edited by FreeBooter, 30 June 2017 - 05:56 PM.

Posted Image

#9 drathjon

drathjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

Lets deal with slow startup first. You need to find out which startup service or program you have disabled causing the issue. To do that you need to enable few services and startup programs and restart your computer you will do this till issue comes back then you will know one or more last few enabled startup items causing the issue. You will one at time disable last enabled startup items and each time you have disabled a startup item restart your computer to find out if problem resolves if it does then you have found the cause of the problem its the last disabled startup item causing the problem.

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

Okay, but I have around 20 services(when hiding microsoft). Do I just check 2-3 at a time when restarting? Also for start-up programs, I think I only have 2 at the moment lol.

Only AVG and Nvidia capture server proxy, should I disable the Nvidia proxy server service?

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:10 PM

You can check 2 or more its up to you. Yes disable both AVG and Nvidia capture server proxy startup programs.

Posted Image

#11 drathjon

drathjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

You can check 2 or more its up to you. Yes disable both AVG and Nvidia capture server proxy startup programs.

Okay just did the Nvidia one, took around 2 mins and 20 seconds to start up(including password entrance). Now will restart with AVG being disabled.

UPDATE: With every start up stopped, it took the same amount of time. :(
So now I will start disabling services 2 at a time to check, will report back.

Edited by drathjon, 30 June 2017 - 06:18 PM.

#12 drathjon

drathjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:22 PM

I have disabled everything but for some reason 2 programs don't want to be disabled. Disabling everything, I have improved it by around 30 seconds(so now its 1:45), so its a bit faster. However for some reason 2 programs, don't want to be disabled.

AVG Antivirus

AvgIDSAgent

These two don't don't disable for some reason but everything else I could and that's all it could improve at the moment, the program that seemed to be slowing it was VMWARE

So what do I do now that I think I sped up the starting process?

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:00 AM

For test reasons you need to disable AVG Antivirus to see problem resolves.

Posted Image

#14 drathjon

drathjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

For test reasons you need to disable AVG Antivirus to see problem resolves.

Okay I did it, and the problem still persisted afterwards :(

So what do I do now? Is it now a malware issue?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

If you went through and disabled all of the Windows services so that only the third party programs are seen and the problem still persists after restarting the problem is not with one of the third party services.  To see if this is a startup program open the task manager and disable all of the third party programs in the startup, reboot and see if the problem persists.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users