Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Made WiFi disappear...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheBleepingIdiots

TheBleepingIdiots

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

So, I am a paranoid Windows 10 user, *ding ding*.

I edited some HKEY settings, remove data collection - in my own way and so on, and now they have taken my WiFi. 

It's non-existing, basically. At least on desktop. I have problems connecting, so now I am on a mobile-network. 

Look for yourself:

8i5Wq9.png

So I want to backup my computer, but not the settings. 

Just every file, software, any other in that matter. I'm guessing, you know, what I am talking about.

Everything but settings. 

- What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

Well, it's a simple matter to copy off all of your user data files if they're under C:\Users and even more so if they're under a single user folder there.  If they're spread about by intention then only you'd know where they are.

Your paranoia is misplaced and this sort of registry editing, in the absence of both in-depth knowledge and extreme care, has results such as those you've suffered.

After you have your user data safely copied to an external device reinstall Windows 10 from scratch and use the privacy controls as they were meant to be used.

You cannot back up your installed programs, but if you have the installers for all of them you can back up those files.  Installed programs become, for all practical intents and purposes, part and parcel of Windows.

Edited by britechguy, 29 June 2017 - 04:56 PM.
Added comment about installed programs

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

You may have a chance of recovering if you only did registry edits. Do you have a System Restore Point date before your registry edits?

If not look at the dates of the Registry Hives in the following directory. C:\Windows\System32\config\Regback. If the Hives in the Regback folder have a date before the registry edit you may be able to recover using a Windows 10 install disk and command prompt or using a live linux disk. 

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

You might try to first bring your system back to a good known state by doing a System Restore from a point before you made the changes.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

JohnC_21 & jwoods301,

You're both correct.   I don't know why, maybe because it's my own habit, but I always try a System Restore working backward from the most recent to the oldest until one takes (as I find quite often that some will not succeed) and presume that others would have done the same before taking more radical steps.

In the absence of a very recent full system image backup that I'd be comfortable using to restore from (after copying off any files I might have created since it was taken) my attempts are, in order:

1. Running SFC & DISM (if applicable - it wouldn't be in this case)
  2. System Restore
  3. Reset with "Keep My Files" option
  4. Reset with "Wipe and start again" option
  5. Download latest ISO from the Windows 10 Download Page, create bootable media, and reinstall Windows 10

I definitely presume that anyone who's considering options #3 through #5 will have backed up their user data, taken a system image backup, and run something like Belarc Advisor to take inventory of all the software they've installed on their system and collecting the license keys for same before proceeding.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 TheBleepingIdiots

TheBleepingIdiots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

Thank you all!

I will try that, when I find the time. =)

Love your quote Brian, by the way. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users