Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable ext HD for mac

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

macbook pro 10.6.8, 1 1394b, 3 USB2's

I want to get a 1T, 7200 rpm portable HD w/ 1394b and USB 2 or 3 ports, and a power cord. I have searched LaCie and WD websites and Amazon. I don't see any power cords at LaCie and no 1394 ports on the WD site - they only list their newest drives it seems. Amazon isn't listing the full specs of the drives they offer [that I can find] and NewEgg only offered a  few drives. The world changed again while I wasn't watching.

I have been backing up to a LaCie portable rugged w. the 1394b powering the drive with no problem. I am going to update to el capitan any millennium now and I intend to keep the LaCie w/ its current clone of 10.6.8 as is in case there is a problem w/ the upgrade process.

I apparently did not purchase a power cord w/ the LaCie, which is very unlike me since I always go for redundancy when possible. I once had a supposedly USB powered drive where the USB2 did not provide enough power, but it had a power cord and I could transfer data using the USB cable & power cord. I have USB2 on my mac, so I'd like to have a power cord in case my 1394b port goes bad I still have the USB option.

Does anyone know of a portable w/ these features?

PS - I just looked at the cables that came w/ my Lacie Rugged and there is one that has the small round connector that usually plugs into a device while the other end plugs into a power outlet. But this one has the flat, rectangular USB connector at the other end. Do you use 2 USB ports to power and transfer data? Maybe my LaCie never had a power cord option. The small round opening on the back is obviously for this USB cable.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

Here's one. You'll need to buy the optional AC power adapter for it though.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

Thanks buddyme2. I followed the links and purchased the OWC On the Go and the adapter. I never would have found that site wi/ my googling attempts. I just got sent to Amazon and BestBuy and neither seems to carry portable HDDs w/ 1394b anymore.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

Ive bought a few hard drives and external hard drive cases from OWC and so far I haven't had any problems with any of them. let us know what you think of the new external hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users