Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean install of windows 10 on an older Gateway Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

I have an older Gateway Computer, probably around 6 to 8 yrs. old, with windows vista. Since this product is outdated, I would like to do a clean install with windows 10 pro. Will windows 10 recognize my drivers on this computer? Has anyone had any bad experience on doing this? I will be buying a new genuine windows pro 10 DVD at retail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

What are the specs of your little computer? CPU speed and RAM amount?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

This is really not a good idea.   It is highly unlikely that the hardware you have was ever certified for Windows 10 at all, and the cost of buying a Windows 10 Pro license is easily as much as buying a new low end machine that would have Windows 10 Home on it, with far better hardware specs than you have, and the ability to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro if you so desire (at a lower cost than a standalone Pro license).

I had a Dell Inspiron 1720 that I tried upgrading to Windows 10 way back during the insider period.  Windows 10 itself ran just fine on the machine, but I could never, after very extensive searching and turning to these forums for advice, locate a driver that would work with the mousepad on that machine.  It started out life as a Windows Vista box.

In my opinion it's just not worth the potential heartache when you take all factors into account.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

Rocky, processor is a Pentium ® dual core t4200 @2.00 GH Memory is 4.00 GB with a 64 bit operating system.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

wayne937,

I also never succeeded in upgrading my ASUS Win7 laptop to Windows 10 and it has specs remarkably similar to yours.  Of course, I was only willing to upgrade that one as I did not want to start with a clean slate on that box, so it remains a Win7 machine.  I fully expect that I could do a from scratch install of Win10 on it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

Save money and just buy Windows 10 home.

Also, this is totally ethical, just download the Windows 10 ISO straight from Microsoft and install it (skip the step where it asks for product code) and see for yourself how well it works. If you like it, then purchase a legitimate product code for your computer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

Britechguy, I am sorry to hear about your bad luck in trying to get windows 10 on your computer. I am definitely going to do a lot of research before I try doing it. You would think Microsoft would be more accomidating to make a new operating system withot supply older,(legacy) drivers. Thanks for the info.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

Rocky,

I ask the following not to be argumentative, but to actually understand your thinking:  Why are you recommending the purchase of Windows 10 at all for this particular hardware?

It is almost certainly not certified to run Win10 by its maker [does Gateway even exist anymore? - I have a Gateway desktop running Win10 Pro 32-bit], the cost for the license is approaching $200 [for Pro, anyway, and Home is not that much cheaper], and you can purchase brand new hardware that, even at the lowest end of the desktop market (and even some of the laptop market) will blow away the existing box for approximately the same cost.

I am all for reduce, reuse, recycle when that makes sense, both financial and otherwise.  But it makes neither when we're talking about a 6-8 year old machine that wasn't anywhere near to "top of the line" when new.

I can't even wrap my head around this as an experiment since the purchase of Windows 10 will be involved and be expensive.   Had the machine been upgraded during the early Windows Insider era then it would be on Windows 10 already, and at no cost, but now . . .

~ Lauren Bacall

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

Rocky,

I ask the following not to be argumentative, but to actually understand your thinking:  Why are you recommending the purchase of Windows 10 at all for this particular hardware?

It is almost certainly not certified to run Win10 by its maker [does Gateway even exist anymore? - I have a Gateway desktop running Win10 Pro 32-bit], the cost for the license is approaching $200 [for Pro, anyway, and Home is not that much cheaper], and you can purchase brand new hardware that, even at the lowest end of the desktop market (and even some of the laptop market) will blow away the existing box for approximately the same cost.

I am all for reduce, reuse, recycle when that makes sense, both financial and otherwise.  But it makes neither when we're talking about a 6-8 year old machine that wasn't anywhere near to "top of the line" when new.

I can't even wrap my head around this as an experiment since the purchase of Windows 10 will be involved and be expensive.   Had the machine been upgraded during the early Windows Insider era then it would be on Windows 10 already, and at no cost, but now . . .

Brian, You are absolutely correct, I do not think that this little PC is appropriate for Windows 10. But as I indicated, the OP could actually download it and install it and see for himself how his equipment performs running Windows 10.

For an old PC like this I would suggest a lightweight Linux distro. That would surely make this old PC run nicely.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

Thanks to you folks who have replied to my question. I am not going to take a chance of spending $200.00 and not having the computer work properly. I have other computers that I can use. I am not going to try and update this computer. Thanks for your advice, even though it was not what I wanted to hear.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

That computer would run linux fine or at least should. Even Mint Cinnamon would run fine. I have a old compaq CQ60 with a T4200 and 3GB or RAM that is about the same age as the OP and Mint Cinnamon runs faster on it than Windows 7. Mint Mate or Xfce would run even faster.

Edit: I should also mention the CQ60 was originally pre-installed with Vista and was purchased during the period where HP issued a free upgrade to Windows 7. 

System Requirements for Cinnamon

• 512MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
  • 9GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
  • 1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 June 2017 - 01:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users