Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NT Password Alternative?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lenhy111

lenhy111

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:33 AM

My computer was locked as my kid modified the login password. I read a lot of positive reviews about NT Password, but I can't get it work on Windows 10. I know there are a lot of computer expert in here. please suggest me an good alternative to NT Password.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

Free as long as you have a "home" version of Windows.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

Given the vintage of this software it's highly unlikely to work on a Windows 10 system.

I used to use password crackers (among other tools) for clients who forgot their passwords and those stopped working a long time ago.

It's becoming more and more clear that I need to advise folks, as a matter of regular practice, to temporarily enable the admin account and to create a password reset disc for each Windows 10 system they have.  I just never think about this because the idea of forgetting one's password, or sharing it with someone such that they could modify it themselves, is entirely alien to me and violates the very purpose and principle behind a password.

One of the reasons that Windows no longer allows even regular admin accounts to change another user's password once the account is established is because of the mischief that some got up to when they had this power.

By the way, this seems a good place to ask, is a Windows 10 Password Reset Disc directly linked to the Windows 10 instance under which it was created or is it a general purpose tool for any Windows 10 system?   I'd think the former, but never having used it or needed to . . . 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

According to Lazesoft's webpage it supports up to Windows 10. You should at least be able to enable the Hidden Administrator Account and work with that for any local accounts.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recover-my-password.html

Home Edition Download

http://www.lazesoft.com/download.html

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

OK.  But that "local accounts" limitation is, in my opinion, a virtually fatal flaw as the way that Windows 10 works it virtually always "guides" the user to create a Microsoft Account linked user account rather than a local one.

I also think I got the answer to my own question.  It appears that not only is a password reset disc machine specific, but also user account specific, but the latter is not entirely clear.

It is becoming more and more apparent that forgetting one's own password, particularly on a single-user machine with a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 user account, is going to be a Gordian knot if there's no password reset disc for said account.  Changing your Microsoft Account password itself does not reset your Windows 10 user account password for the linked user account when you do it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

It is becoming more and more apparent that forgetting one's own password, particularly on a single-user machine with a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 user account, is going to be a Gordian knot if there's no password reset disc for said account.  Changing your Microsoft Account password itself does not reset your Windows 10 user account password for the linked user account when you do it.

That's is scary. If that is the case Microsoft should prompt the user to create a Password Reset Disk at the first user login.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

I have been trying to get people to understand this for quite some time now.  My Windows 10 user account and my actual Microsoft Account do share the same e-mail address, and both were set up when I first installed Windows 10.  However, since that time I have reset both my Windows 10 user account password and my Microsoft Account password and they are not the same.

If you reset only your Windows 10 User account password that's pretty much all there is to do.  There's nothing else that's necessary.

If you reset your Microsoft Account password, whether or not you reset your Windows 10 user account password, it will "break the link" between the two and you will be required to go through the verify process again during which you'll enter the new Microsoft Account password to re-establish the link between the two.  Both will still share, and must share, the same e-mail address.

I agree that this is very scary and that, if you are using a machine that does not have a local account with admin privileges on it, you should be prompted at Windows 10 install time as part of the process to create a password reset disc for the account being created.  As far as I can tell that will be your only way back in if you either forget your password or would have walked away from an open session where someone took it upon themselves to maliciously change the password on the Windows 10 user account without your knowledge.

~ Mark Twain

#8 lenhy111

lenhy111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:59 PM

OK.  But that "local accounts" limitation is, in my opinion, a virtually fatal flaw as the way that Windows 10 works it virtually always "guides" the user to create a Microsoft Account linked user account rather than a local one.

I also think I got the answer to my own question.  It appears that not only is a password reset disc machine specific, but also user account specific, but the latter is not entirely clear.

The program indeed not working on a Windows 10 machine (Pro 64bit). The computer still asks for password, which was already reset. However, there is no loss as it is free. 

The security policy was changed when upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Previously, you have to link a Microsoft account for login on 8.1.

#9 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

Given the vintage of this software it's highly unlikely to work on a Windows 10 system.

I used to use password crackers (among other tools) for clients who forgot their passwords and those stopped working a long time ago.

It's becoming more and more clear that I need to advise folks, as a matter of regular practice, to temporarily enable the admin account and to create a password reset disc for each Windows 10 system they have.  I just never think about this because the idea of forgetting one's password, or sharing it with someone such that they could modify it themselves, is entirely alien to me and violates the very purpose and principle behind a password.

One of the reasons that Windows no longer allows even regular admin accounts to change another user's password once the account is established is because of the mischief that some got up to when they had this power.

By the way, this seems a good place to ask, is a Windows 10 Password Reset Disc directly linked to the Windows 10 instance under which it was created or is it a general purpose tool for any Windows 10 system?   I'd think the former, but never having used it or needed to . . . 

I have successfully used this on Windows Vista (don't ask that's what he had!) and Windows 10, These were both local accounts and NOT Microsoft accounts, I have not tested with MS accounts.

#10 Kakaerty

Kakaerty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:16 AM

According to Lazesoft's webpage it supports up to Windows 10. You should at least be able to enable the Hidden Administrator Account and work with that for any local accounts.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recover-my-password.html

Home Edition Download

http://www.lazesoft.com/download.html

i used many tools like pcunlocker, tunesbro, even ophcrack,but didnt' work all.

and more..

i tried many password reset disk, but it seems it reset the password, but when I reboot and it still let me type password.  This is a not MS account, it's local account.

Edited by Kakaerty, 07 July 2017 - 03:16 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

Lazesoft is free for home use. Use it before purchasing any software.

Edit: For local accounts only.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 July 2017 - 08:40 AM.

#12 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

If you have a Microsoft account associated with your Windows 10, Simply log into your account and you can change your password to access your pc from there

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

If you have a Microsoft account associated with your Windows 10, Simply log into your account and you can change your password to access your pc from there

I suggest you try changing your password on your Microsoft Account to prove that it has no effect whatsoever on the password for the account linked to same on the Windows 10 machine.

They are separate accounts and even if both use the same e-mail address (and they will if you set up a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 account) after that point of setup you can change each password entirely independent of the other and neither has any effect upon the other.

If you change the password on your Microsoft Account then you will have to go through the Verify process on your Windows 10 Accounts page to reestablish the link by providing the current password for the Microsoft Account, but that doesn't change the password on the Windows 10 Account in any way.

If you change the password on your Windows 10 user account that's linked to the Microsoft Account there's nothing else that needs to be done since the Windows 10 user account still has record of the password for the Microsoft Account and that link still exists until or unless the Microsoft Account password would be changed.

~ Mark Twain

#14 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

We’ve all done it before. You sit down to log into your Windows machine, type in what you think is the password, and bang, you realize you forgot what it was! You scramble to try different combinations of letters and numbers to see what will fit, but nothing works. What do you do now?

Use the Password Reset Tool for Microsoft Live Accounts

The first (and most obvious) solution available from the outset is to use the standard password reset function available at Microsoft’s password reset website. There you’ll find three choices, and for this particular case, you’ll want to follow the “I Forgot My Password” selection if you’re attempting to recover any accounts that are tied to your online identity.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

We’ve all done it before. You sit down to log into your Windows machine, type in what you think is the password, and bang, you realize you forgot what it was! You scramble to try different combinations of letters and numbers to see what will fit, but nothing works. What do you do now?

Use the Password Reset Tool for Microsoft Live Accounts

The first (and most obvious) solution available from the outset is to use the standard password reset function available at Microsoft’s password reset website. There you’ll find three choices, and for this particular case, you’ll want to follow the “I Forgot My Password” selection if you’re attempting to recover any accounts that are tied to your online identity.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

And, again, this applies to your Microsoft Account password, not a Windows 10 User Account password.   The two are not equivalent.

The HowToGeek article also clearly states, as has been mentioned here already, that the use of the built-in Admin account to change a Windows 10 User Account password only works for local user accounts, not ones that were set up with a link to a Microsoft Account.

So far as I have been able to determine, and I've experimented with virtually every method that's out there, the only way to recover access to a Windows 10 User Account that was created with a link to a Microsoft Account when you've forgotten the password is with a Password Reset Disc, if you had the foresight to actually create one for that account (as they are account specific).  Otherwise it's generally a "create new Win10 account [either local or linked with admin privilege], copy over existing data from account where you don't know the password, nuke account where you don't know the password."  I've always found it odd that another admin on the machine can delete any account, but cannot reset the password on a Microsoft-Account-linked Win10 user account (but can for any local account).

It's all a bit weird and has increased the level of security provided purely by the password itself for a given Microsoft-Account-linked Win10 user account significantly.  It also makes it a complete nightmare if you forget it and have no Password Reset Disk for the account, and most people don't.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users