Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erasing Harddrive Information

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

Allright, i'm given an error message when trying to format, tried using cds, booting clean to try to format the traditional ways, but i'm spent, and technically tired of trying. I know that you can technically do a "no question asked" format from the debug menu in DOS, the thing is, i'm not sure how safe it is, i'm not sure if it will mess up any partitions or if it will do a low level format (worst fear) so, has anyone done one of these before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

I haven't done a low level format in a long time. I may have only done it once to say that I did. I found the following article that may shed some light on your question.

Should I low level format?

What error are you getting? Have you run a diagnostic test on your hard disk to see if you are having a problem?

Edited by Joshuacat, 11 September 2006 - 07:07 PM.

JC

#3 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

if the disk wont let you format, try running chkdsk/scandisk to check it, or download harddrive makers diagnostic to make sure of no faults, they usually also contain a utility for overwriting a disk in zero's, which is basically the closest you can get to a 'low level format' in a modern disk as 'real' low level formattin is done at factory and can't be undone afaik.

good luck

ps - good link, Joshuacat, cheers

Edited by rubiconeye, 11 September 2006 - 07:47 PM.

#4 Gyro

Gyro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:08 PM

Haha, the disk has corrupted sectors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users