Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Problem With My New Set Up.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis J

Dennis J

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:23 PM

Hiya!

I just recenty got into building computers; and I'm building my very first computer from almost scratch. I ordered my motherboard, my processor, a computer case, and some Thermal paste from newegg.com.

Motherboard - newegg.com

Intel Pentium 4 640 800MHz FSB LAC 775 Processor, which was deactivated, so i do not have a link available.

Computer case - newegg.com

Artic Silver 5 - Newegg.com

and a 350W power supply, One DVD and CD rom drive, and my hard drive, a video card; all from my old dell case.

I put it all together, made sure nothing looked broke, and set it up with some power, a wireless keyboard and mouse, and my flat screen monitor.

The first time i booted it up, I went into Bios and went looking through everything. I went strictly by the manual, and didn't configure anything I couldn't understand. I finally made it to Pc health status, and was setting up a limit of 80 degrees celsius. Underneath was the CPU temp, and it was right under 80 ( 77-79) so I booted down, took it apart, and installed some more fans ( including the two that come with my case ) and some Artic Silver Thermal Paste. I boot it up, and before I could get to the login screen for windows, my computer shuts down.

I decided to take a break and leave it alone for a couple of days, as I read somewhere that thermal paste takes time to set. I came in today to give it another shot. I set it all up, plugged it in, and headed straight for the PC health menu. It said that it was at 999 degrees celsius, before it booted down again. I tried once more to get there, and it said the same thing before booting down once again.

I pulled out a few strands of hair trying to figure out what to do. So I headed to newegg.com looking for some help, and saw this website underneath their Help and Info tab. I decided to ask for some outside help. So it would be very much appricated if I could get some advice, or a location in which to do so.

I'd also like to point out some things i did while putting it together.

1. I always touched a piece of metal to discharge myself before handling any piece of computer. It was usual the chaise.

2. When putting on the thermal paste, I decided to leave the original pad there on the heatsink provided with the processor. I don't know what effects this would have.

3. I put in all the power cables, IDE cables, and Front panel buttons. I followed the directions to my best ablility, though I know some items to not have a way of stopping from incorrect installation.

4. I am running 4 fans : the Heatsink fan, the chaise fan, the big side fan on the clear side panel, and the fan in the front. I made sure that the chaise fan faced outside, so that it could expel the hot air from the processor that was stirred up by the side panel fan.

That's all I can think of, but if more information is needed, please ask and I will try to provide as much help as I can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:30 PM

I know this is going to sound kind of odd, but how much thermal compound did you use?

#3 Dennis J

Dennis J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:38 PM

I used about a rice grain of the compound, maybe slightly more. I also took off the heatsink after the first shutdown before today (before I took a few days off); and placed it back on, making sure the heatsink was secure.

Edited by Dennis J, 11 September 2006 - 04:39 PM.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:02 PM

Ok good, whew, well, I have a few ideas, first and foremost, you did plug in the heatsink fan correct? I'm just going to skip ahead because i'm pretty sure you did that. now, I need the specs for your heatsink. Some processors are designed to automatically shut down if the fan is not spinning fast enough. Odd, but that's me first guess.

#5 Dennis J

Dennis J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

I don't know where to find the exact specs for the heatsink ( the directions didn't have anything ), but I remember (and see) that it's a circular aluminum heatsink. If I remember correctly, the speed was something along the lines of 2000 RPMs before it turned off.

Edited by Dennis J, 11 September 2006 - 05:36 PM.

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

Well at this point in time you have two options, by a faster heat sink, or if you feel daring you can turn off the cpu fan protection in the bios... (be very very certain your fan is indeed plugged into the cpu fan on the motherboard and that the fan IS running, if you misjudge this you could effectively destroy not only the cpu but probably the motherboard as well.) 3000 rpm is a good speed for a heatsink fan. If this isn't the problem, then tell me, and I'll look it up more.

#7 Dennis J

Dennis J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:15 AM

I actually was going to buy a Scythe SCNJ-1000P , because I have a full size case and plenty of room for it, but they we're out of stock. So should I wait and buy this heatsink, or tinker around some more and try to mess with the bios?

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:54 AM

well if you were going to buy it anyway, I think you should wait. And if when you install it you run into the same problems, we'll look at it again, but if we run into problems... you may need to flash the bios, and it is VERY risky. but let's hope this solves it.

#9 Dennis J

Dennis J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:15 AM

Ok... and pardon my curiosity, but what does it mean to flash the bios? And why would it be risky?

I'm also getting with the Heatsink a bigger power supply (680W). Would that affect the temp. too?

#10 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:07 AM

Flashing the BIOS means to basically erase all the data upon it and return it factory settings, by disconnecting the battery. It's risky as you can damage the actual bios itself, the battery which powers it, or the connectors giving power to the bios itself. If the latter occurs, youre screwed, for lack of a better phrase.

#11 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

Yea, it's also a way to upgrade the bios, but if anything happens while it's upgrading... you have to mail the motherboard back to the company so they can fix it... it's really risky, but it may be needed. Anyhow, the bigger power supply i heartilly say yes to, it won't increase temperature, if anything the better power supply will probably come with a better fan, and it will make overclocking easier, and most devices will work better.

#12 Dennis J

Dennis J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:58 AM

Understood. So after I get this heatsink and install it, it should run effectively. Even if it doesn't work, I can reset the bios; but if that doesn't work, what should I do next? Send it back and get a replacement?

#13 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:38 AM

Well resetting the bios is a process that's kinda risky but, let's see... there's the option under cmos that you can just turn off the option, there's the possibility of needing to reseat the cpu, there's another about making sure the heat sink is correct. But let's see other than that, there are always 100 possibilities to one problem, but sometimes there's more than 1 answer.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:28 AM

2 things come to mind:

1) Did you unplug the power cord from the wall before going into the case? I have forgotten to do this twice (and still grounded myself on the case) and I lost a hard drive each time. Dunno if this would affect the CPU similarly.

2) I don't know if there's a problem with the pad on the bottom of the heatsink and the paste. But the generally accepted way to apply paste is to remove the pad first (and clean off the surface with alcohol), then apply the paste.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Dennis J

Dennis J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:28 PM

usasma:

Yes, I unplugged the cord before going into the case.

Ok, I'll try to remove all the old paste and try a new coat.

Gyro:

Ok. So it could be any number of things. I guess that's common sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users