Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AT&T and Microsoft Tech Scam

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lornagb

Lornagb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

I am using Windows 10. I have worked with the real AT&T tech, re-booted my router and changed the login info, checked my bank accounts changed some passwords and ran a full scan by AVG and Malwarebytes which say everything is ok and my computer is working well so I think I'm ok but wanted your opinion. 

Iv'e spent a lot time trying to figure out how this happened. I have finally put all the pieces together. In the past we have been presented with this same scam and immediately recognized it for what is was and did not fall for it. We also were called many times with the IRS scam and did not respond. In fact that one became a joke in our house. " Who called earlier?" " Oh it was just Acmad from the IRS again" So what happened this time that was different. ...Here is the story.
Before this happened we were having a whole bunch of problems with our computers. In addition Mike's keyboard stopped working when he was on the internet. He could not type anything.
Our computers were very slow, having trouble loading web pages and connecting.
Mike called ATT tech support about the keyboard. After much checking they found nothing wrong. They said it must be in your computer. Mike decided all things considered that he would just get a new refurbished computer. It arrived a few days later and he was having trouble getting it up and running because it wasn't accepting the security keys that he put in.
In the meantime I got an urgent message on my screen about a threat. It was about that time that the calls started coming in from "AT&T". The timing was unbelievable or should I say believable. We fell right into the trap because of the circumstances we were in.
How much of ALL OF THIS was orchestrated by the scam we do not know.
Another incredable part of this is that once I realized what had happened I tried to login to Chase to check on our bank account and got a message that the account had be locked because of an attempted breach and to call this phone number before proceeding any further. When I called a man with an Indian accent answered. I was confused and I said you know I think I have been scammed. He said what do you mean? I cautiously explained what happened. He then tried to convince me that he could fix that. I asked if he would be charging me and he said it depended on what was wrong. I asked him if he would need to take control of my computer. He said yes.
I told him no way and hung up. I called the Chase number on my card and she confirmed that too was a scam. How did they intercept Chase's login page????????????
So now that I understand how this happened I am going to start trying to move on. 1f625.png

Edited by Lornagb, 28 June 2017 - 06:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

I can only recommend to be on the safe side we should get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users